Doctor said A1C is too low for a Type 1

I agree balance is important Shawnmarie however I have found that I am less balanced when I run higher because I'm always correcting away. There are oodles of blogs all over the place, from many of the leading lights of the DOC, about "rage boluses" and crashed out hypos and all that. I have found that I can get significant changes from incrementally small adjustments in BG and that being careful (ha ha) I can keep things smooth. I don't feel like I'm that special but I am persistent and aggressive and, perhaps, sensitive to buzzes and willing to act on those sensations pretty readily. I also have good insurance and have had at them until they get me enough strips and the CGM and all that, which is a big help.

The doctors I am talking about aren't necessarily the ones you go see but the ones running the AMA, AADE or various other associations. I think that the plan itself is flawed because of 1) the success other people who've said here that they've given tighter targets a try and succeeded and also the fact that doctors have no problem telling pregnant people or, to use artwoman's interesting example here, with kidney disease, to run their A1C in the 5s and many of them do it. I'd like to see them both try to tell more people to do that and also to try some studies to prove it's hazardous. I simply haven't found it to be that much more hazardous than running higher.

Re Stuart's question about how many lows are acceptable, to me a low is unacceptable if it gets in the way of me doing something and that hardly ever happens.

I should clarify that the dx of kidney disease predates my dx of type 1 diabetes by at least 17 years. The thought is that while I dx'd with the kidney problems, at age 15, I probably came into the world that way. So it does probvide good motivation to keep being anal about bg. And it has helped me get adequate covereage for strips. Unfortunately I have to pay out of pocket for CGM, but it is worth it while I can afford it. Hopefully one day it will be considered as essential. I gues that means that the powers that be will recognize that allowing us to have the tools we need to take care =- that is good care - of ourselves means they won't have to pay for expensive treatments. No Duh!

I was trying to find out how much the constant glucose monitor is, without insurance. I manage to pay for all of my diabetes supplies without insurance using the older insulins, NPH and Reg and using the least expensive teststrips. AND of course keeping myself healthy so I need no other medications.