Does anyone here have D and OVERACTIVE thyroids (hyperthyroidism)

I was diagnosed with diabetes and hyperthyroidism at roughly the same time. My endo commented at the time this is weird because he usually sees it paired with hypothyroid (underactive) but not hyper.

I didn’t get any symptoms when i was diagnosed, it just came up in the blood test results. Over the years I’ve started to get palpitations some times more than others. I’ve been taking meds but have never really been off them… I did for like 6 - 12 months but ended up relapsing. I’m just wondering whether its a common pair and what complications do you get and have you thought of getting it radiated?

Besides my palpitations, I get really cold hands and feet (more feet). And I sweat very easily. I don’t know whether that’s related to the disease but I think there is some association.

1 Like

Yes. I took the radioactive iodine treatment about 8 years ago for Graves disease. My eyes were just short of bulging out so I caught it in time. I had aches, shakes and weight loss. I still get variable results from my meds. I often go up and down on doses needed to keep things stable. I really like the material put out by Mary Shomon if you can still find her on the web. Shes written some useful things. I have a test every three or four months to check levels and more often if my meds change. You have to wait about 6 to 8 weeks when you change doses and that is a long wait! Sometimes I can tell when things are right on track, but not always. My one Endo lectured me on not deciding unless I had a blood test to back things up. What you feel can be deceiving. Hope this helps!

1 Like

I’m on neomercazole for yonks now and its probably for life. If there is no harm in taking it long term, I don’t see the need for radioactive treatment and then being substituted to take another tablet for life.

But my endo is kind off suggesting I should get it radiated.

I’ve been a well controlled T1D for 42 years (I’m 60 now) and developed an Goiter (enlarged thyroid) but it wasn’t from Hyperthyroidism. I took levothyroxine to keep it from enlarging but about 10 years ago developed thyroid cancer and had it removed.
From what I read and experienced it sure seems diabetes and the chances of developing various thyroid problems is very high! Lucky taking levothyroxine pretty much takes care of it, unlike the difficulties of managing diabetes!
I may have the beginnings of Gastroparesis (delayed digestion) but it’s not certain. It is another common complication of diabetes and another added variable to managing my blood glucose levels but I am dealing with it pretty well.
I will say daily exercise, good diet, constant monitoring with my Dexcom, and Tresiba/Novolog insulins (do not use a pump yet) has worked well and I’ve never had an a1c over 6!
Good luck to all!

1 Like

That is true for certain thyroid conditions like hyperthyroidism but from what I read uncontrolled blood glucose levels can effect your thyroid. It makes sense as the endocrine and cardiovascular system are both used. If I change or forget my thyroid medication it effects my blood glucose levels. What’s to say that having uncontrolled blood glucose levels won’t impair or cause long term damage of the thyroid? Here is one article on the subject:

1 Like

I´ve got type 1 and Grave´s too. I´m on Neo-mercazole and will not get the radiotherapy because I´ve already got complications with my eyes. The bulging eyes that @Laura_S describes (exophthalmos is the medical term).

There are cons to both longterm use of Neo-Mercazole, radiotherapy and surgery to remove the gland. This article discusses the options:
Indefinite antithyroid drug therapy in toxic Graves’ disease: What are the cons
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3830376/

My guess is that your doctor has an opinion to which is the best solution for you. Read the article and decide for yourself what you think is the best option.

1 Like

Won’t radiotherapy remediate the bulging eyes? If your thyroid is not longer hyper, doesn’t this complication go away?

1 Like

I think that staring look does not resolve. I was told I caught mine just in time, otherwise it would have been permanent. At least that’s what they told me. I still get tissue swelling around my eyes as well.

1 Like

@Laura_S is right. Bulging eyes is a permanent condition. I do not know why they don´t do radiotherapy when you´ve already gotten exophtalmos other than that they don´t. All they told me was that it was too risky.

2 Likes