Does anyone work rotating shifts

I was wondering how many of you work rotating shifts at your job and are on the pump? I work all three shifts and Im getting ready to start on the pump and I was wondering how people are doing with the pump working shift work and how it affects them. If you have any feedback please let me know, I would love to know.

Depending on which pump you’re about to start, you have certain options for adjusting your insulin needs to a changing schedule. Generally, they’re called basal patterns. Some people use one pattern of basal rates for weekdays and another for weekends. I wear a Cozmo now and it actually knows what day of the week it is and can switch patterns automatically. When I wore a Minimed Paradigm, I found patterns really useful because I was a college kid with one schedule on Tues/Thurs and another Mon/Wed/Fri (had lunch at different times, for instance). Then, later, as a teacher on block scheduling, I could do the same thing. Some people use patterns for managing sick days (I have a sick day pattern with elevated basal rates throughout my day).

But, honestly, playing with your patterns is for more seasoned pump wearers. You’re going to go through that hell period at first where you’re just trying to figure out all of your levels, but once things start to settle, I bet this feature will help you manage those rotating shifts.

If you haven’t already, get the book “Pumping Insulin” by John Walsh. It’s great.