Does this alarm you? It should!

Yeah, what’s up with the whole “pantry” meme? WTW? We were lucky to have some canned tuna, canned beans and a half-box of spaghetti in a cabinet over the sink. Everything else was fresh and cooked for meal-time.

Now my friends have a walk-in closet for junk food.

Gee…wonder why the kids are chunks?

I was raised in a house with a pantry, and my mother put a lock on the door so we 3 kids wouldn’t raid it. So my brother took the door off the hinges and let us in that way. We were always happy to eat anything we could get our hands on, preferably something sweet. We used to buy a dollar’s worth of candy each, which, when candy was 5c, was 20 candy bars. And then sit in a circle and eat all of it at once. I’m still not sure where we got the dollars from!

But on the other hand, none of the 3 of us was overweight.

There are no easy answers.

Clearly an imposter. I took a little literary license. I wasn’t obese, fat, or otherwise noticeably overweight. At 5’11", by today’s standards, it didn’t seem like I was overweight.

A friend of mine recently learned that he was T2DM. If you’re interested in helping, please let me know. Be forewarned, though… he’s the one who taught me that liberals full of hot air.

Your post is, in my humble opinion, a pretty naive response and a disservice to those who would desire to mitigate or reverse the symptoms of insulin resistance. We absolutely do know what causes type two diabetes. Insulin resistance (the root cause of type two diabetes) has four known factors. Avoiding them all is pretty much a guarantee that you won't become diabetic. Read my blog for more: Craig's blog on insulin resistance.

Don't believe me, though. Research the success stories of Drs. Joel Fuhrman, John McDougall, Stephen Sinatra, and T. Colin Campbell.

I read your article, and I think you’re the one who is being naive. While I don’t disagree that you bring up some good points, they are by far not the only things that contribute to insulin resistance and type 2. Insulin resistance is not universal among those who don’t eat good diets, don’t exercise and are overweight (the toxin theory is interesting, but there are not too many ways to avoid them). And insulin resistance does occur among people who eat healthy, exercise and are not overweight. So what you say is a simplification, and an overgeneralization.
Second, you ignore the fact that insulin resistance is only half the story. The other half is destruction of beta cells. In some people this does not progress very far, and in others, it can go all the way to zero C-peptide. The best diet and all the exercise in the world are not going to help someone who is deficient in beta cells. The loss of beta cells may be genetically determined; D+E are not going to change that, either.
I WISH it were as simple as you make it out to be, but that just ain’t so.

And conservatives (and libertarians even more so) are filled with hot something else??? Please don’t get political here!

And the country has done so well under conservative leadership!! LOL…

I do want to say for the agent orange piece, both my dad and his brothers in Vietnam have recently gotten type 2 over the past 5 years. ALL OF THEM are extremely healthy fit and not fat at all. Not sure if being a kid of someone exposed to agent orange has something to do with type 1, type 1 does not run in my family and now I have it being born 10 years after being exposed to agent orange.

Just to let you know that the China Study has been thoroughly debunked.

It sounds like you have type one and type two confused. Destruction of the beta cells (in the case of type two diabetes) can only result when a combination of these three things occur: prolonged exposure to high blood sugar from excessive carb intake, lack of essential nutrients to support healthy organs, and (most importantly) prescription of sulfonylureas which overwork an already overworked pancreas. If there’s one thing that gets my passion going, sulfonylureas is it. Once on them, you’re pretty much guaranteed to be on insulin shortly thereafter. We can argue until Jesus comes again about whether beta cells are lost over environmental or genetic factors. The point is, many of us (myself included) are genetically predisposed. Many of us (myself included) have actually improved our insulin output. How? Good question. Faith? Perhaps. Nutrition, exercise, reduced glycemic index diet? Most likely. Certainly, there are other factors, like toxins, but they are also avoidable, contrary to your belief (that would be a very healthy discussion for the two of us to engage in sometime in the future). All of these negative factors can be mitigated, or avoided completely, with simple diet, exercise, and lifestyle modifications (provided the disease is caught early enough). If you really and truly want to help people, you should be out there proclaiming the benefits of a super healthy, natural foods based diet and exercise instead of making it sound so gloomy. If I subscribed to your line of thinking, I’d be shooting insulin right now. Just like my dead mother, my dying brother, and all the rest of those poor souls who listened to their doctor instead of following their heart.

That would be a tough one to prove. Particularly given the fact that so many of us have benefited so much from Campbell’s findings. Not to mention Drs. John McDougall, Joel Furhman, and all the others who follow his basic premise.

Well, these things are not necessarily so simple. The researcher Ralph DeFronzo has looked at the defects in type 2 and how well various drug regimes preserve beta cell function. A recent lecture by him on GLP-1 analogs discusses various regimes, and it is clear that sulfonylureas across the board fail to preserve beta cells. But other drugs also fail, and while some of the new GLP-1 analogs have good properties preserving beta cells, it is not just keeping blood sugars under control. So while I think you are right, high blood sugars can damage beta cells (glucotoxicity), there is something more going on causing many type 2s to lose beta cell function. And yes, we are learning things about our diet having negative effects on our health and that things like wheat may actually be quite bad for us. But while diet can help control your blood sugar, I am not aware of diet specifically harming beta cells. And so as a type 2, it is probably prudent to adopt a low diet that can help you keep tight blood sugar control, avoid grains and fruits, focus on nutrient dense and healthy meats, seafood, dairy and green veggies.

Thanks for the link on the GLP-1 analogs. I’d recommend it to anyone who wants to know a little more about the various classes of diabetes drugs. Interesting he advocates getting A1C below 6% and keeping it there, as well as using drugs to keep beta cell function as long as possible. The usual protocol is to treat the results of loss of beta cell function after it has happened. Unfortunately one of the keystones of his recommended therapy areTZD drugs, which have proven dangerous.

You might want to read the work of Denise Minger. It is always good to read things with a critical eye and ask questions.

You wrote:
“It sounds like you have type one and type two confused. Destruction of the beta cells (in the case of type two diabetes) can only result when a combination of these three things occur: prolonged exposure to high blood sugar from excessive carb intake, lack of essential nutrients to support healthy organs, and (most importantly) prescription of sulfonylureas which overwork an already overworked pancreas.”

No, I don’t have Type 1 and Type 2 confused!

1. Many studies have shown 2 things: beta-cell loss is already significant when Type 2 is first diagnosed, and Type 2 is progressive in most people. Type 2 is heterogeneous, so not everyone loses a lot of beta cell function, but many do.
  2. A certain percentage of people are diagnosed with Type 2 without prolonged exposure to high BGs. Those are the ones that get routine physicals, and in whom the elevated BGs are diagnosed early.
  3. While some people who are diagnosed with Type 2 eat poorly, that is certainly not true of all Type 2’s. The Type 2’s on the internet tend to be intelligent and motivated, and tend to eat healthier than those in communities where healthy eating is expensive and difficult. Yet they developed Type 2, and it doesn’t seem to be going away.
  4. The sulfonylureas DO exacerbate beta-cell failure (which contributes to my point that Type 2 involves beta-cell loss), but most docs no longer use them as first-line drugs – Metformin is far more common.

I caught this late. As one who was on the useless wrong drugs for 26 years and finally caught my liver sugaring me up like marachino cherry, Craig’s comments are not naive and there is a basis for his comments if one takes the time to read up on human skeletal muscle cell physiology and operation.

After getting my type 2 corraled, eye hemorgaes cleaned up, body/kidney rot stopped, weight finally dropped

bg now in proper ranges, I have spent my time researching this crap in depth and note the following:

a) its your fault crap is exactly that - useless crap.

b) liver over release of glucose and being stuck in make sugar mode will override diets and rot body out.

c) liver issues ignored by ADA, FDA and other groups intent in peddling their type 1 - just add more insulin solutions is in my mind making matters worse.

d) Insulin resistance is the response of body skeletal cells to turn off body’s own insulin attempt to stuff more glucose into cells already topped off.

e) glucose regulation in human body relies upon insulin’s effect to cause cells that have room to store more glucose - will store more. No room, glucose backs up and Blood BG glucose goes higher, body makes more insulin in attempt to store more glucose.

f) only exercise gets rid off - burns off glucose. Energy required to run heart, brain, gut and balance of body tiny compared to glucose burned by skeletal muscle exercise. Hence daily exercise is crucial to keep glucose levels reduced to ensure room to regulate blood BG. This point is overlooked by all the other hero’s out there and their incessant useless chattering.

g) hunter gatherer gut/system is highly efficient and grabs all calories presented. In past poor food quality, scarce amounts and seasons generally ensured human system externally limited -prevented from too many calories. The human system was optimied for that fact years ago.

h) Today we have 24/7 access to high grades foods, grains, sugars coupled with reduced exercise of automation, laptops, cars, video games and couch potato extensive entertainment.

g) today critical for human to manage energy input and get sufficient exercise. The human system was not optimized to pass thru excess calories in digestion system when all local body stores - liver, kidneys, skeletal muscle cells are topped off with glucose. If it did, we would not have type 2 diabetes.

i) constant focus on type 1 solutions of adding insulin and tons of it aka starlix, glyburide and large doses of liquid insulin not helping type 2 diabetics or we would have this problem cut back not expanding grotestly.

My experience for me has shown:

1. Stop excess liver glucose release - only answer today is metformin.
  2. Carbs control and tight diet of 20% less that what you are burning. For me 1200 calories a day.
  3. 1 to 2 miles walking each and every day.

Praying for some gene fix given circumstances seems very remote . For now, institute the steps above and stop the rot. Starvation diet, lap band, bariatric surgery, small intestine liner are all showing curious dramatic results that would seem to back my prior comments.
    5419-Insulin_why_meds_fail.doc (246 KB)

I remember once reading in a seed catalog that a supersweet variety of table corn had been bred to have 20 times the sugar of old fashioned varieties. Ditto for sweet peas and carrots and probably a lot more. In other words kids can eat nothing but corn, peas, and carrots, and have 20 times the sugar intake their grandparents did. Is it any wonder diabetes is exploding no matter what a person’s personal habits may be?

What is curious is that I believe all of our grains/ rice etc have been enhanched to improve yields and carb content.

On top of that subtract all the exercise removed from all the couch potato tools and entertainment and one has a massive upswing on energy eaten/input at same time exercise has dropped dramatically.

It certainly begs an interesting question!

Sounds like a plan to me.

For us older goats, myself, it is critical to identify a calory input regimene that coupled with our current exercise known, that energy in and energy burn are closer to a balance.

Not nice, but neither is liquid energy - glucose backing up on a old hunter gatherer gene/gut body set that grabs every calorie in food eaten and throws none of it over the side when local liver/cell storage topped off.

20 times…Wow thats crazy. Along with sugar I think our carb intake is really the problem. I was watching this documentary on chips in America and we are the capitol in the world in chip consumptions. We eat more salty carb snacks than anything else. I grew up chubby and although I always had a love affair with Snickers, chips and bread were my main relationship…I loved crackers and potatoes especially fries. Dont get me started on fast food. Most of everything I consumed was high in carbs and salt.

BTW I’m a T1…Just sharing my chubby childhood…I grew out of it once I got to high school but I still struggle with craving carbs so much, I can go without cookies but chips is torture…