Does this annoy anyone else

Hi Cody,
I’m newly diagnosed, 2 weeks ago. I’m learning, trying to learn, by reading, asking many questions of the wonderful people here on Tudiabetes, asking my dr., so I’m thirsty for knowlegde to gain control. My friends know this and actually tell me what I should be doing!!! Neighbors and practical strangers would lend their expert advice. At first I did listen to everyone thinking it must all be true. Why else would a person give advice if it wasn’t trustworthy and true?

Well, I’ve come to the conclusion that people mean well but basically must like to hear themselves talk. They want to feel helpful. Maybe they don’t know what to say so they just say anything, first thing that pops into their heads.

So, to answer your question, a resounding YES, it can get annoying at times. I need the truth of the matter. I can depend on my Tudiabetes family and my Dr, that’s it.

You’re not alone. Take care.
Amy:)

Frustration comes with unsolicited advice, whether it be from non-diabetics or the everyday ignorant, ill informed non-educated twit. Diabetics aren’t the only group with a chronic health issue that has to deal with this type of frustration. I also have MS and I wish I had a penny for every time I am instantly referred to a Dr. in South America,(he was also on 20/20 many years ago) practicing from the jungles that has “the cure”. The only positive with MS over Diabetes is that we haven’t been blamed for giving ourselves MS. Thank heavens for my psyche that destructive train of thought isn’t prevalent in neurological circles. I do believe that having MS contributed to developing type 2 diabetes, as did the accident that ended my career. The MS because my lack of mobility has made keeping my weight stable is very, very difficult. The accident because it led to 13 years of legal wrangling, 5 years of daily horrid phone calls that I received, loss of my income just as my oldest began college…and on and on. But then who doesn’t have stresses in their life? I thought I dealt quite well with mine. Maybe I didn’t.

My boss here in South Korea is clueless about diabetes, and the culture here is different too… Having a disease can be very shameful. So he always walks up to me and gets this concerned look and using a very serious voice says, “Sam, how are you doing lately?” And I cheerily respond “fine, thanks how are you!”

But then in front of a group of coworkers, there happened to be red ginseng around, which helps your immune system… he says ‘oh sam! you really need this, it will help you immune system!’

And then I had some friends telling me that there wasn’t sugar in fruit and getting offended that I wouldn’t eat any.

People need to know more about diabetes hehe

This is also true for my daughter, who has fibromyalgia. Everyone we mention it to knows someone who had it and was “cured” by some treatment or other. So yes, it’s not just diabetics who get this.

This issue applies to any chronic illness. When I had heart failure, I had a client who was convinced it was a heart attack that I survived. When I had my cardiac device implanted it was mistaken for a heart transplant. With both the cardiac device and the pump, people have made comments that I am ‘cured’ of my illness now that I have it. What do you mean you don’t feel well - you have a pump, you should be feeling great!

Face it, most people don’t have a clue. I attempt to educate them, but sometimes it just isn’t worth it, they only hear what they want to hear. I like your statement “It isn’t as simple as eating the right things, exercise, stress, illness, medications etc all affect a diabetic.”

Hello Mark:

This one is easy… “ok…why don’t you drink Tequila every day?” (substitute your drink/subject of choice). I choose not to drink/X for the identical reason… I choose not to!

Stuart

I think that people try to find a point of commonality, and that’s usually through someone they know or have heard about. I hate it when I hear about other diabetics who do X or Y, when I’m not comfortable doing that and want to control MY diabetes MY way. My pancreas is not the same as every other diabetics. Just because someone else CAN do X or Y doesn’t mean that they should. I mean, going on a drinking binge and then not eating or waking up to test your BG in the morning is stupid, and I don’t want to do it. Perhaps it’s being harsh on other to say “it’s my way or the highway”, but on the other hand I am the expert on my condition, I have done the reading, I monitor my sugar levels, I know how my body reacts to different things, and I think that that qualifies me as one of the best people to make decisions that affect my health.

Hello Cody:

I make it a point NOT to tell anybody (except my wife) diddley about my disease. If they give me grief I simply say “…its never that simple…” and smile.

Stuart

Medication, exercise and eating are only a few things that play into BS control. But let’s not forget about the stress factor of ignorance, which raises the BS, lol
I don’t mean to offend people but, I can’t for the life of me understand why after 35 yrs that response still surfaces? How can one blame a BS on food alone, when so many other things can affect it as well?
Some things need to be changed in tis respect.

I have not told the majority of my family and friends that I was diagnosed for this very reason. I have a friend who suffered this for years and I just don’t want to deal with the disease and everyone’s comments too.

I have learned what people have a big mouth in this area and I just try to eat what they think I should just to avoid the confrontation. That makes me miserable but not as miserable as having to tell them to mind their own business. If I want to have a piece of my nephew’s birthday cake and can pump enough insulin to cover it, what is it to them. Anyway, I completely understand what you are saying, Cody? By the way, how is school going?