Does this bother you?

I’m paraphrasing here, but read this statement from a radio ad and see what you think:

"…kids eating school lunches leading them down the path to obesity and diabetes"

Does that statement bother anyone else?

It is a radio ad for Boar’s Head turkey. I’m in the car a lot and I hear this ad every day, sometimes twice a day.

At first I tried to ignore it, but after hearing it so many times, it really started getting to me.

I am all for eating healthy and I believe an overhaul needs to be done to school lunch menus. But, this ad seems to perpetuate the myth that my son has diabetes because of the way he ate, or that all people that are overweight have type 2 diabetes.

Kids may become overweight from what they eat. But, there is no proof they will develop either type 1 or type 2 diabetes because of what they eat.

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease. And, just because you are obese doesn’t mean you will develop type 2 diabetes either. There are many more factors that attribute to the disease, some of them genetic.

Anyway, just had to vent my frustrations here. I think it would be a good idea to pull the ad. My kid has enough stereotypes hanging over his head because of this disease. He doesn’t need them perpetuated by a national ad campaign.

If it bothers you like it does me you can contact Boar’s Head and let them know by calling: 1-888-884-2627. I can’t find an email address. If any of you do, let me know what it is.