Doesn't Feel Real

I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 15. I was assumed to have insulin resistance when it became widespread to think that IR and PCOS are related, but never failed a GTT until May of this year. I was on Metformin for about a year before the failed GTT, at which time I was switched to Avandamet.

I had my very first A1C done after the failed GTT, in June. The level was 6.1. I was never told at that point that I have diabetes, but the nurse from the doctor’s office left me a voicemail that “Your diabetes is controlled” because of the A1C number. I listened to it and though “I don’t have diabetes! That must mean that the A1C is normal” and went on my merry way.

Until my doctor appointment this last Friday (August 15) when my doctor looked at my chart and said “How is it going with your diabetes?” My WHAT? I don’t have diabetes, I said! Yes you do, he says. Your A1C is elevated.

So finally he explained to me that my insulin resistance has graduated (haha) to diabetes. So now I’m actually being closely monitored, and testing, for the first time in my life. So here I am.

I’m pretty new to this, though I understand how it mostly works, because of the insulin resistance diagnosis. But the diabetes part doesn’t feel real. I only started testing yesterday and I haven’t had a “bad” reading yet. That just makes it feel even less real: “See, my levels are great!”

I actually found this site while searching for how often to change lancets. It turns out that some of you keep them for quite a long time!

So my doctor gave me a monitor and I have two other ones (free offers online) on the way. I have to turn my readings in to my doctor after two weeks and we will figure out if I’m on the right dose of meds or not. And I guess it just has to sink in.

My husband is also having a hard time with it. He thinks the doctor is jumping the gun, especially because of my good readings.

I’m also trying to conceive, and I’m a little afraid of what will happen when I get pregnant. We’ve only been trying for 5 months now, but it’s not as easy as one hopes this kind of thing will be.

you say “good readings”. what are you considering good readings? are you testing before eating? 1 hour after eating? 2 hours after eating? first thing in the morning? before bedtime? all of these should be written down for the two weeks.

I’m so glad you found this community! It is NEVER to early to start testing your blood sugar regularly. An A1c of 6.1 means that your blood sugars are high SOMEtimes, even if they are not high when you measure. Try measuring 1-2 hours after eating as Landileigh suggested. If you write your numbers here, we can help you interpret.

Early discovery and treatment of Diabetes is the key to preventing nasty complications down the road.

Welcome to our little slice of the internet. I’m sure that you’ll be able to find any help or support you may need here. It’s a great community!

Also, pregnancy is possible with well controlled diabetes. Your A1c should be under 6 before conception! Even though your A1c is not much above 6 right now, it might be best to wait until you figure out how you will manage your diabetes before you conceive.

Also, check out this group for women with diabetes who are pregnant, were pregnant or who want to be pregnant :slight_smile: It is possible!! But it is SO important to plan ahead!!!

I agree! I can see why your husband may think that your doctor is jumping the gun, but it is good to hear that there is a doctor who is proactive about helping his patients avoid problems in the future that are caused by high blood sugars. Many people may not have caught the diabetes until it was much later than in your case… but the earlier, the better!

A diagnosis of diabetes is a lot to deal with. We know. So please let us know how we can help you!!

there is a big chat TONIGHT starting at 9pm EST at http://www.diabetestalkfest.com with Nicole Johnson (former Miss America) about pregnancy and diabetes. you should check it out

Sorry HERE is the link to the group.

Hi! My doctor has me on a staggered schedule, where I test all of those times but not every day. But I am OCD, which means that I have been testing every day instead. The times I have been testing are:

• Right before each meal
  • 2 hours after each meal

I have not been testing right before bed. It seems like testing before breakfast would be the same thing as testing first thing in the AM. I get up at 5:45 and have to do farm chores and get ready for work, but I eat around 7am.

My instructions for “good” readings were:

• Never below 60
  • Pre-prandial below 100
  • 2-hour post-prandial below 140

Thanks!

Thanks! I also have infertility to deal with, so it is a lot on my plate!

Thanks for your help. We are not waiting because I have PCOS and trouble ovulating. I’m already 30, it’s unwise to wait much longer. I’m actually about to start my second round of fertility treatment – go eggie go!

Hopefully your doctor gave you a good explanation of what it is the A1c measures, too. A 1% change in an A1c result reflects a change of about 30 mg/dL in average blood glucose. For instance, an A1c of 6% corresponds to an average glucose of 135 mg/dL, while an A1c of 9% corresponds to an average glucose of 240 mg/dL. In layman’s terms, this is a number derived from measuring the amount of glucose clinging to your blood cells over an approximately 3-month period. Without finger stick testing with a meter, it’s the only way your doctor can tell that you trend unnecessarily high.

So Landileigh and Kristin are right - you need to find out when those highest swings occur if you’re to bring the average down into a “non-diabetic” range of below 5%. For most diabetics, that’s after meals (post-prandial) or in the mornings. Don’t let the “D” label freak you out. You need this info so you can live a long, healthy life controlling your body chemistry!

The instructions that you got seem good (though I would say never below 70-- many feel low in the 60s)! And it’s GREAT news that you are OCD :slight_smile: and that you are testing everyday.

Try testing one hour after eating every once in a while-- and see what is going on.

I got my first high reading. :frowning: I put it in my blog here – 167 2 hours after a (really yummy) big Chinese lunch. It was kind of a “test” meal and I really didn’t believe it would make me spike. Lunch time is when I tend to eat stuff I shouldn’t, so I guess I have found my problem. Now to fix it…

:frowning:

I had Chinese for lunch too! It’s about the worst thing for my blood sugars. I went to 241 :frowning:

If you can fix these after meal spikes (either with medication, low carb, or both), your control will probably be great!

When you see a high number, go for a walk (if possible), it can help bring it down!

Not feeling your diabetes is real may be a good thing. It means your doc is treating you in the earliest stages and with excersize and diet you will have few problems until much later in life. A lot of people here advocate a low carb diet, and I have to admit the ADA high carb diet seemed to keep me hungary all the time. By dropping the carbs like bread and soda, my hunger is much more normal. Insulin has helped me there too. By reducing the post prandial spikes my appetite is normal.

anyway, you are in the right place. OH! BTW, when I was first diagnosed my doctor recommended a book called “the first Year Type 2 diabetes” by gretchen Becker. I have found this book concise and complete. It covers everything from the first diagnosis to diets and meds. I now keep it as a reference, and I recommend you pick it up, too.

anyway, glad to meet you and hope you achieve your goals
danny

Thank you!

Oh Gosh - I am PCOS and 35 years old. I haven’t even started to try and conceive. We were just taking the steps (that sounds a bit cold no?) when I got a diagnosis A1c of 6.5%. Good grief, I may end up with a poodle at this rate.

~Danielle

A1c Calculator (thanks Jenny)

Scan down the page to find the calculator.

Danny gave you a great suggestion for a book. Another great one is Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution. He suggests a pretty rigid low carb diet which many people have had success with both weight loss and control of BG levels, myself included. There is a wealth of information in that book even if you choose not to follow the meal plan.

I’ve been diagnosed since July 1st only and have been given a wealth of information from here and other forums. It’s very overwhelming at first. Diabetes itself is complex. I went through some denial as well especially when it came to carb control - LOL. I’m Italian and the idea of not eating pizza or pasta was unfathomable. I’m not taking medications yet (getting a second opinion from an endo because I don’t think my GP is proactive enough - like yours). My carb level has to be carefully watched. When I get on meds, I may be able to up it slightly but, even with meds they must be controlled. Stay away from the white stuff - flour/sugar

~Danielle