Don't leave home without it

I use the refigerator in hotel rooms & your cabin will have one. I don’t trust my insulin to anyone. I have a Frio also. It doesn’t matter if the water doesn’t evaporate. The less evaporation, the longer the insulin stays cool.

Meter, strips, insulin & syringes are constant traveling companions even to run errands. All fit in the meter case. Also have little bags of jelly beans stashed everywhere.

I guess I don’t really consider it a limitation because most of the time I prefer to drive. The only time I would actually fly is if I could not drive due to time constraints or whatever. I just always thought the syringes and stuff would be a problem. It’s good to know that if I did need to fly, it would not be a big deal. Or at least not the diabetic supplies!

Thanks for the responses! My room had a small fridge too, I’d totally forgotten about it LOL. Pump supplies etc. will be yet one more bag!

Makes sense, especially since they were in really good shape when found. Type 1 would not fare so well. I looked for information on how long a Type 1 diabetic could live without insulin and there really isn’t much out there. Some appear to have survived in the past before insulin was available, although there was no way to know if the natural insulin was completely gone. It’s not something we really probably want to know the answer to.

I NEVER leave for anywhere with my supplies. I also feel naked without it!

Enjoy your cruise !! Where are you going? I also have a Frio bag, it will come in handy for transporting insulin.

Not sure where we’re going yet. A friend and I did our first cruise in December and loved it, can’t wait for the next. We both need some R & R.

I was also on the Caribbean Princess (four times!). It is one of our favorite ships. I have found that I do not trust the cabin fridge in any cruise. The temp is very variable and has frozen my insulin. So, any extra insulin I have bring with me goes the medical center’s controlled temp.fridge which is also hooked up to emergency power should the power go out. I carry a Frio bag for shore trips with he bottle I have open.

For me, I always fill my reservoir with at least double of what I need for the three day ( I am on a low TDD of insulin) and always carry syringes in my meter case along with spare batteries. I always have the ability to withdraw insulin from my pump reservoir if my pump breaks.

I also carry a spare emergency bag (my D oh sh*t bag) with extra sets, glucose tabs etc anytime out of the house in my car.

I think they used to call Type 1 Diabetes “Juvenile” because you rarely survived to adulthood. Those two could not have been T1 and have done well 5 days later. I always have my supplies with me.

I hadn’t thought about the possibility of freezing the insulin if the fridge is too cold. Even in my frig at home, I keep the insulin down low in the door just in case the refrigerated compartment gets too cold. I have had an older frig freeze the bottle when I put them up too high.

You’re right. I didn’t thoroughly think through that remark. I would guess the not eating was helpful for the T2 diabetes, but they would have undoubtedly have been very ill or died had them been T1, even without eating. Thanks for pointing this out.

I also love the Caribbean Princess. Very classy. Our first cruise was in April 2005, it was a fairly new ship then. We had a lot of fun on the Carnival ship (they are known as the fun ships!). I didn’t have a problem with my insulin freezing, but I will look into keeping it in the medical center, thanks for the suggestion.

I don’t go anywhere – not even a walk to the corner store – without my backpack: meter, extra test strips, lancets, pen and needles in an insulated zipper case, emergency glucose, cell phone, ID, insurance card and money are with me at all times.

My walking shoes also have tags on them that say “DIABETIC” on them in big letters on an orange background, and snap open to show my emergency contact info and that I’m on insulin – in case I keel over and some miscreant snatches my backpack.

Another trick is to find a Starbucks or tavern (they’re everywhere in major airports) after you pass through security, on your way to the gate, and ask very nicely for some ice to put in a plastic bag to keep things cool. This is helpful in case there is a delay in getting ice from the stewards on the flight (flight delay, boarding delay, tarmac delay).

I carry several zip-loc baggies (sandwich, quart, gallon sizes) in my carry-on as well as a small sheet of mini-bubble-wrap. I put nest the ice in the baggies (to prevent leaks) and wrap the insulin in the bubble-wrap (to prevent cold spots that might freeze the insulin) and put the baggies of ice in the bottom of my backpack next to my insulated insulin case. It can stay cool, without freezing, for several hours this way.

If I have a super-long, cross-country trip, I can usually replenish the ice from either an air steward or another Starbucks/tavern in the lay-over airport or the destination airport as soon as we land.

Of course, I always have written prescriptions, too, so I can buy a bottle of insulin in my destination city if I need to (never needed but eases the mind.)

They used to call type 1 Juvenile Onset diabetes, and type 2 was called Adult Onset diabetes.

We were on Royal Carib’s Enchantment of the Seas - I’d do it again in a flash, what a lovely ship! Thinking about W Caribbean this time. I love the idea of the med center’s fridge, I’ll feel a lot safer, thanks!

I thought insulin – pen or vial – was OK out of the fridge for 30 days. So since starting the pump, I keep the unopened vials in the fridge, but the opened one I just carry around with my meter etc. Am I wrong?

My pharmacist says that is true. The pharmacy tech was surprised. I also had a diabetes educator who would not leave a bottle out overnight. I found this:

http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/rl_dsl/publications/GudStrgInsulin.pdf

which does not necessarily match what diabetics are generally told. It does seem that refrigeration is not necessary at all times. I use the Frio mostly because I go to the cabin in the summer and it can be quite a bit above what one would consider “room temperature”.

Request a personal mini fridge. I always do…They also provide sharps containers. If the ship won’t provide you with a fridge. I bought a mini water/air tight container from walmart in the campin section. I put it on ice and that seems to help keep it cool.