Dos an up in levemir take a couple of days to work?

hello, honeymoon being a pain in the arse, changing with the wind. i have been waking up with higher numbers in the morning and having to shoot up to eat.
after avoiding the higher dose of levemir (fear of night hypos, so gross) for a week or two, i did it last night. i was taking 2 uits levemir at night and 1 in the am. so last night i did three units, thinking, wow, tomorrow is going to be a double digits morning. mmmm hmmmm. well i woke up at 130. does levemir take a couple of days to work? it shouldnt have anything to do with bolusing and food because its a fasting bg. right?

I usually try a change for a couple of days before I make any decisions about whether it worked or not. There's so many variables that it seems reasonable to have a larger sample size of 2-3 results instead of one!

Well everyday is a new day with new challenges....I would wait a few days between adjustments. As your body's ability to produce insulin and counter regulate BG continues to fail you are going to see more swings in your BG.

When upping long acting insulin, give it a couple days before changing it again.
If you really fear hypos at night, think about giving the larger dose of levemir in the morning and a smaller dose at bedtime. The bedtime dose will tame dawn phenomenon.

leo, im trying the extra unit at night cuz im waking up high. will wat a coupe of days and see if anything changes. i was thinkin that after the honeymoon finishes everything will settle down, but the more i read on here, the more i see that its not like that at all!!

I think basal insulins may take a couple of days to take full effect. But, more importantly, I think you need more data than just 1 morning reading to accurately determine if the change is effective. I usually go 3 days on basal change to get a few days of data before making additional corrections. Unless the basal correction is obviously off.

thanks for your input. the second morning woke up to an 87, which was awesome. i dont THINK thats too low for fasting... i had shot up the night before for dinner tho. this morning back to 122. hadnt shot up for dinner and mada a very half arsed effort at carb counting. more effort on my part is required. after honeymoon being so good (no novorapid), have gotten lazy re carb counting. guess must go no carb for dinner or shoot up. these weeks on basal only make it hard to accept that i have to do the bolus again and count everything carefully. :(

I think changes in Levemir and Lantus should be observed over several days or even a week before making conclusions about the result of a change. This is for two reasons, first, while both insulin's claim to have a duration of action less than 24 hours, they actually have a non-trivial tail whose accumulated result will only be apparent after a couple of days.

But second, and this is most important, the variability in our blood sugars from day to day introduce such noise that you cannot conclude anything about your morning numbers from just one day. All it takes is one bad day of sleep and you can go and make an incorrect dosing change. It is prudent to accumulate evidence and then make a measured decision. And in my view, having an overnight hypo or waking hypo is to be avoided, even if it means that you wake a little high and have to correct.

I average my fastings over a week. I note any particular highs or lows and may discard them (I have some sleep problems). And then if there is a need for a change, I'll try a change of maybe 5%. And then I will observe for another week.

i did sleep quite badly last night-got to bed late, woke up in middle of the night, unable to get back to sleep... maybe thats it. thanks for the advice, brian. ill leave it like it is for a week or so then.

Ha!!! I've been waiting for my honeymoon to settle for 12 years! I change with the seasons!

Hi Leo2. My honeymoon is long since over, but I always change with the seasons. Suddenly I'm really running high, needing more insulin. When I used a pump I had setting for the different seasons.