Dr. Richard Bernstein Program With Type 1 Diabetes

One of the first things i bought was a scale. its much easier to calc on-line nutritional info more precisely using weight than volume. That EatSmart scale is pretty sweet.

The Greek yogurt is also great. I’ll mix in a little Stevia and a couple strawberries in the morning for a low carb breakfast. i found one low fat Greek yogurt that has 8 carbs for the entire container. its pretty good stuff.

Thanks for the welcome. Im learning so much just from the responses on this thread. I just need to learn to have the right balance. I have not been weighing or measuring my veggies. I have been on weight watchers for 4 years and am so use to being able to eat as much veggies as I wanted to. So many changes at once is hard. I have just gave up on diet sodas too so I look all the time for new drinks as well. I am on the pump now for 11 years and have reduced my basil insulin to only 15 units a day. and am bolusing around 1 unit per meal. I was doing 3 to 7. Huge difference, I’d say.I get blood work done end of July so if I see big drop in my a1c then I will continue. If not, then I will go back to the carbs, just not as much. Well I think I will just keep reading and learning. Hope this works for us.

Wow, Patty. That’s a great reduction in insulin.

There’s an EatSmart discount offered through TuD.Go to the “Resources” tab at the top of the page. I love that scale.

My niece has Hashis and endo will only prescribe Synthroid now as her endo told us she feels the generic, Levothyrox. does not work as well. Taking Synthroid, she needs more insulin than if she did not have to take Synthroid. Seems like about ten to fifteen percent more insulin needed when taking thyroid meds (this was true with Levothyrox. as well; she has used both drugs). If thyroid is not regulated properly with the Synthroid, you can gain weight. The weight gain is related to hypothyroidism or Hashimotos, symptoms of that. She uses quite a bit of insulin as she is a young teen, just through puberty. I have noticed weight gain but only going from super thin to slender; and I thought due to increased appetite that comes during the teen years. I did buy Bernstein’s book about a year into her dx years ago. I believe the Bernstein diet would work at normalizing blood sugars and losing weight, but there is radical carb restriction, 6 grams breakfast, 12 grams lunch and dinner. I doubt if my niece would choose to follow such a restrictive diet even as an adult, so not for her. But many adults do restrict carbs, maybe to a lesser degree, with much success. If it were me, I would probably try something like the South Beach diet instead. But if you want to try Bernstein, go for it.