Drinking with D: Diabetes and Alcohol

I just want to be clear on this point: I didn’t mean be judgemental of anyone who drinks with my post. I’ve certainly done my fair share of drinking. A few years ago I went through some sort of phase where I didn’t like the thought of ingesting anything that puts me in an altered state of mind (good or bad). In terms of drinking it has stuck with me. It was, however, just yesterday that I learned about my father and today I talked to him on the phone and he sounded like a scared little child looking for assurance that everything will be OK. The doctors explained to him in detail how he will die because of his drinking and it scared him and me a lot. To me it just isn’t worth even a couple of hours of fun.

Very sorry about your father. Must be really hard for you with him far away.

Thanks for the post and it’s true that it’s hard to find information about what to do…probably in part because as seen by other’s writings, the results vary so much…so a lot of it is guess work…I think to it’s harder because the more you drink the more it affects you and your judgement so it becomes it easier to overeat, or to inject too much/little insulin etc. though personally after a few bad delayed lows, I like to run higher before going to bed if I’ve been drinking more than the 2 servings… particularly recently… when I woke up really low and could barely walk…cause I think my body stripped the glucose from my muscles esp. in my legs… and I also started keeping glucose right next to my bed

Yeah, I’ve started keeping fudge next to my bedside. That way, when I’m low in the morning, I’m actually looking forward to treatment! haha.

im trying to figure out how many carbs are in jose cuervo tequila. or if i should drink the regular or the silver. im a tequila drinker. someone please let me know of i have to cover tequila shots with insulin. thanks!

Hi Porter,

Tequila does not have any carbs, so unless you mix it with something that does have carbs (ie margarita) I would not bolus for it.

As per which one to drink, that is a matter of personal choice.

Regards,

Henry
Author of D and The Guy
http://www.dandtheguy.com

thanks so much! u like saved my life. lol i used to be a big vodka and red bull drinker especially after turning 21 but im trying to make the right choices while trying to figure out how to still have fun