Drivers License reveals

Remember the diabetic wallet cards they gave us half a century ago? I know I don’t carry mine around (although I may have it stashed away in a box somewhere!)

At this point I carry around so many store loyalty cards I don’t know how they’d ever notice a random card in my wallet!

Picture below is grey highlight and black text but I’m pretty sure the one they gave me was red?

4 Likes

I don’t recall ever having one of those. I suppose it could be taped inside the windshield. Its a good idea. Do you ever have concerns that someone having access to your diagnosis could use that information exploitatively? As I age, I have more concerns about that. I’m having trouble thinking of a concrete example where this could cause me problems. But, I do feel like that has happened in the past and it makes me nervous. Maybe that feeling is over the top.

Over my life, attitudes towards T1 diabetes and the shame that should incur on me, have changed dramatically for the better.

Still there’s a lot of folks out there and their mindset as to what it means and how much shame I could vary, I still see a wide variety.

I certainly work much less hard to hide my diabetes, than I did 35 years ago. At same time I’m older now and don’t really care what other people think, like I might have when I was a teenager.

Some of my immigrant co-workers are amazed I don’t keel over dead every single day because in their homelands, T1 diabetes means pain and suffering and blindness and amputation followed by death all in short order. They have absolutely no way of processing, that I have been dealing with this for 35 years now. As those co-workers become my bosses I do have an inkling that one reason I haven’t advanced in the company, is that they don’t accept my successes.

2 Likes