Driving and diabetes - do you know your BG trend before driving?

Your so right Terry,
The side conversations have helped me out a lot. Like right now, i’ve been a T1 for 4 years and didn’t know anything about CGSM. Thanks Patricia for bringing that up.
I have been having issues with regards to maintaining low 100s sugar level (keep going low) the last few months and a CGSM will definitely help. Time to call my doctor.

Ditto! The D never goes away. Thank goodness for street lights.

I agree and may have some excess supplies. Please follow through and let me know.

Terry

Sanjaka,

I’m glad that you’ve learned something useful in this thread. In 26 years as a T1 diabetic, my experience of CGM has confirmed it as one of the most effective treatment advances that I have witnessed. If you are so inclined, go for it!

Terry

Patricia,

Maybe I’ll look into the Faustman trial. I’ve always wanted to visit Boston and I have access to very cheap air travel.

Thanks for your participation in this thread. You’ve raised important points.

Terry

My lows are usually around 50’s and 60’s my symptoms for lows are bad body shakes. very dizzy sometimes I get very sleepy and muscle tired like I have walked 50 miles I’m not able to hold a cup of coffee with out it spilling out of the cup. I don’t speak much being deaf, I sign most of the time but when I do try its very difficult to form words. Its the same with signing its like my mind gets very fuzzy and blank I know what I want to say I just can’t put it together. I get very quick tempered with everybody no one is safe from a butt chewing even if they have done nothing wrong. Kind of reminds me of jekyl and hyde. My highs are usually 160 to 278 then I have to deal with headaches sometimes chest pains (angina) I have heart disease too my back muscles get very stiff and painful. A great deal of pain in my legs all the way to my toes which I figure is the Neuropathy I have from my hips down. I make sure I test before I leave I can’t afford for me hurting someone either by cauing an accident or getting very pissed and doing other types of damage which happened alot before I was dx 10 months ago I had no idea when I was knocking holes in walls and kicking doors off there hedges that I was diabetic or dealing with low blood sugars. So I do my best to keep my numbers in line.

No, I almost never finger-stick before driving. I suspect that a very small % of T1’s test before driving. I don’t think it is easy or practical. Anyone who finds it easy either has a phenomenal attitude, is motivated by hypo-unawareness, or doesn’t drive much! Since a single fingerstick is useful only to a point, then you’d have to plan 10-15 minutes before driving to fingerstick 2x to establish the trend. CGM is great because it is already up and running and being paid for anyway whether driving or not.

Please elaborate on the fact that you think it isn’t easy or practical.

First off, when you receive a CGMS (Yes, I have one) They teach you not to rely on CGMS as your main source of blood glucose management. There is a lag between the meter and the CGMS. If you want to drive you should test prior to driving.

“Oh I was wearing my CGMS” isn’t going to fly in court if you were there due to an accident. As a diabetic you should take responsibilities for your actions. Driving is a privilege. You are not entitled to it. I would strongly recommend you test prior to driving so they don’t have another thing to take away from diabetics. A few bad ones will ruin it for those who actually are proactive in their treatment.

Whilst I was doing my driving lessons I always checked my levels and made sure that they where higher then normal which they usually where because of being nervous and then by the time I finished my lesson I would be at my normal level. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, our Terms of Use (and legal concerns) forbid us from allowing the exchange or resale of pump supplies or prescription items, Terry, but there are a lot of reputable donation sources like ipump,org or Insulin for Life that have the protocol in place to handle donated supplies.

We already do have a place for the sharing of non-prescription items though.

I do now that I’m on a CGM, but I spent most of my life not testing before driving. For many years, T1s were told to test four times per day, and that’s what I did (if that, as I got older). I tested only before meals. In the last two years, I increased my testing to be more in line with good control (8-10x a day, at least), but admittedly, I still don’t test before driving, though I know whether I am stable or trending up or down thanks to cgm technology. Like Dave said, I also know my trends well enough to know which times of day I would need to watch it more closely.

I’m not saying I’m right or that I wouldn’t encourage others to test before driving. But I’m also not saying I do anything I’d deem unsafe as far as my own person is concerned. I’ve never felt unsafe behind the wheel due to blood sugar. If I started to drop or if I were high and sleepy, I would not drive.

Thanks for the donation info, Melissa. I figured it would be tricky for an organization to coordinate exchange of items that require an Rx.

That being said, the reality of millions of people in the US without any affordable access to health care and supplies cries out for some kind of grass-roots philanthropy.

I will check out these organizations.

Terry

Paul,

Your low symptoms sound pretty dramatic. They certainly would distract you from driving. Your inability to translate thoughts to sign-language corresponds strongly with my inability when low to encode my thoughts into words and sentences. My thoughts are there but I can’t express them.

Your lows sound similar to mine. Are you on meds alone or do you take insulin too? You seem very tuned into what’s going on with your metabolism and that’s a good thing. I wish you luck with your continuing struggle.

Terry

My Doctor has me taking Metformin 500mg a day. The Doctor has tried all the oral medications but Metformin is the only one I don’t have an allergic reaction to I am very sensitive to medicines of any kind.

I have a pretty good intuitive understanding of where my BGs are trending-- and I won’t always test before driving (especially after a meal) but if I suspect the slightest chance of going low, I’ll definitely test.

I never said my blood sugar never drops when I’m behind the wheel. But I can say that I don’t drive when I’m low. I pull over and treat the blood sugar with glucose tabs (which can survive in my car even in the Texas summer heat).

I’ve never had trouble on long drives, but of course, you’re stopping for meals and bathroom breaks, etc, so it’s more likely you’re going to stop and check on your BG, too. That and I’ve usually had someone with me to share the driving.

I keep my CGM in the seat next to me while I drive so I’ll hear it if it beeps to indicate a falling BG, but like you said, I know how I’m trending MOST of the time. I’m also not someone who has ever lost consciousness from a low and never suffered from hypo unawareness. If that became a reality for me, I’m sure my habits would necessarily change.

Good luck with your medication routine. I’m sorry that I can’t empathize with what that means since I don’t use them. I hope that you find a balance that works for you.

Terry

i’m in the process of learning to drive, and i usually do my blood just before and about 20-30 minutes before too, i’ve noticed i drop, and i don’t know whether this is due to nerves, as i still get nervous, for some reason which i do not know, but that helps me work out what i should do, and if i’ll be ok to last the lesson or not.

Abby,

You’ve taken a reasonable approach to driving safety and diabetes. It’s an exciting time getting your first license to drive. Enjoy and stay alert.

Terry