Dummy Pod Problem

I have a 7-year old daughter, diagnosed 6 months ago. We waited 3 weeks to get a dummy pod, then she wore it 2 hours before she somehow ripped it off her tummy by hitting it against the porch rail. She was okay for the 2 hours!
I have been dealing with Insulet. We went to a pump class but I lost the rep’s business card. Maybe my nurse educator can give it to me so I can be in touch with the rep.
I really want her on a pump by the end of May when she’ll be a flower girl for her brother’s wedding. She likes the Omnipod because of no tubes. But she’s pretty skinny.
Should I still go this route? Maybe through the rep?
Does it take long once you tell a rep yes?

OmniPods will somtimes get ripped off just like your infusions sets get ripped off. You just have to put another pod on. Your CDE or Rep will usually give you pods for every two days even if you don’t need that many. I think that you should try again with a real OmniPod filled with saline for 3 days. You should be able to do a trial from either you CDE or the OmniPod Rep. Once you decide to get the OmniPod just like any pump it will be all about how long your insurance company take to authorize it. Once my insurance company gave the OK I had my pump the next day! Contact Insulet and get a number for your local rep. Tell your local rep that you want a 3 day trial for your daughter.
I hope this info was of some help to you.

Peter

Thank you! I’ll let you know what happens.

Hi, me again, think of it another way. Some people will say “Well the OmniPod is bigger than an infusion set so it is easier to get pushed around or ripped off on a child”, however how long do you think an infusion set with a tube going from the infusion site to a pump will last on a child that is not careful at every move it makes? There are a few parents right in this group that have children on the OmniPod, maybe they will chime in with their experiences. If I had a child I would choose the OmniPod. There lives and yours will be much simpler. Another OmniPod could always be put on if one falls off. Of course if too many start coming off it could get expensive if you are paying for the pods. The Pods are a little more than double the price of infusion sets however in my humble opinion are worth every penny more because of the freedom and flexibility they give me! I would never had gone on a pump if I had to have a tube connected to me!

we are in the process of getting my daughter pre-approved for a pod.she is 4.she wore a pod for 3 days with saline,once on she forgot about it.it was on her lower bottom.we were contacted by omni pod last evening to tell us how much was covered.but when she went to tell us she said something didn’t seem right.as of now she is supposed to call us anytime now or this evening to tell us whats covered.if you are afraid of it falling off there are things to help keep it on.I can’t remember right now what some of the things are but I bet someone here would know if you are concerned.trying it with saline will give you a better “feel” for whats it will be like.good luck

My daughter has been wearing the Omnipod since December. She was diagnosed in October at age three. We have been very happy with the system! We sing the Omnipod’s praises to everyone. She swims in it with no problem. We went to Disney World and you wouldn’t believe the freedom we had. Her numbers have improved drastically. Her doses are so small that .5 unit adjustment with needles was not a small enough increment. Now that we can take it to .05 she is so much more consistent in her readings! We have had pods fail and we have had one rip off. To us though, it is still better than needles. The good definitely outweighs the bad.

My daughter is in a research study for the Omnipod system and got her dummy pod with a few other kids all in the 3-6 age range. The one thing the rep told us when she got the dummy pod was on the smaller kids that the best place to put it was on either side of her rear (kind of high) or the outer thigh. She didn’t recommend the tummy for little ones (at least to start) because they are so active they have a tendency to rip them off their bellies. The one child who had a harder time was the one who got the dummy pod on her belly.

My daughter is also very thin. She takes ballet and you barely see it under her leotard when it is on her behind so if you decide to go the Omnipod route, make sure you rotate it so that she has a rear spot for the flower girl dress. No one will ever know it is there:)

Thank you for your help!
It helps so much to hear encouraging words about it.

I would really like for my daughter & myself to try the saline but apparently our nurse does the saline trial when you’re actually starting on it and isn’t used to doing it for a trial before deciding. I did talk to the company & they said they might could get me a saline trial & were going to have someone get back with me the same day (Friday). Today’s Tuesday…still waiting.
Thanks for your help!

Now I really do want one. I can’t wait to get her started. Our nurse did call and tell me that she had another practice pod for us to try and so a friend picked that up for me & I hope to get it tomorrow (we live an hour from the hospital so I asked a friend who works near there).
I didn’t watch the enclosed CD before putting it on her last time. Guess I need to do that. Then just cleanse her skin well with the alcohol wipe, and is there anything else I need to know to make it stay stuck better?
Thanks so much for your encouragement. I hope your daughter continues to be happy and healthy with the Omnipod.

And thanks for all the specifics. That is really helpful.
Also, you told me where to put it, but in what position? Do you usually place it vertically or horizontally or diagonally, and with which end pointing which way? Does it matter?

It will work in any position. Perhaps the most important thing is to vary the insertion site to avoid building up scar tissue. Try to find a spot that clothes and normal movement will not intefere with.

In order to do a saline trial, you need active pods and a PDM, so it’s likely you will have to place your order to do so. Insulet has a 45-day no-questions return policy, so you can order without risk and do the trial that way. They also have a very liberal billing policy. I’ve had my pods about two months and still haven’t received a bill. You can pay over time, as well.

If you contact Insulet they will get you in touch with their local rep who will come to your house and set you up with a prod on saline. They will show you how to put the pod on, how to use the PDA, give a bolus, take your blood level, look at your stored information records, etc. Just contact them. The only reason that I see that saline would not be used is maybe, maybe because a baby is involved! Do yourself a favor, contact Insulet, go to www.myomnipod.com and call them on their 800 number. They are great people over there and they are always more than willing to demo their pods. In fact my rep called me last night to see how everything was going with me and I told them about your story and he said for you to call Insulet and have a rep stop by. Please if you need info from me drop me a email as I am always willing to help out if I can.

Peter

The better you clean the skin from oils, etc. the better and longer the pod will stick.
However remember that you may want to use something to make it easier to get the pod off.

You can put the pod any direction that you want. For myself I always have the pod angled up so I can see thru the little window to maker sure everything looks alright.
Some people question “How can you see anything thru that little window”, I admit that its not always easy but it could be done. Some people are just defeatist. Not me, I use a very small LED light with a magnifier sold at Walgreen’s for $4.99. It lights up everything and enlarges everything for my old tire eyes to see in the window. I can see the canula and the skin around. I even saw one time when my skin was bleeding a little because I must have pulled the canula out from banging the pod one too many times when I was moving furniture around. For you because it will be on a baby it really won’t matter, put it best where it will be the least uncomfortable and not ripped off so easy. :slight_smile:

I’m always adding my two cents in but I have to say something that may offend some of the people on this forum especially some non-OmniPod people but I must say it.

First of all if you really think about it and are open to new ways the OmniPod is the way to go for all pump user especially when they cut the size down. A lot of people will have there opinions here but this is not open to opinions. The OmniPod is creating more pump users from people that would never have consider a pump because of tubing and that is just a fact! Get us to it people, OmniPod or some pump like it will be dominating the market from here and now and into the future, except in certain circumstances pumps with tubing will be phased out as must as continuous monitoring is going to be part of most diabetics lives within 5 years or so.

Now for something even more important for me to say!
Unless there was an exceptional reason I personally could not in all good conscious put my child on any pump but the OmniPod. This is not a personal preference we are talking about here. This is not a “I like this color” or “I like the screen on that one”. We are talking about children. Children who we all want to live as normal of a life as they can with this horrible disease. Getting a pump is about giving the child a chance that their health being will be more normal. Getting a child an OmniPod is about giving the child the change to be more of a child, to live life more like a child! A child pretty much having the ability to be a child with the running and moving a child should be doing without having to be attached to a hose, without having to worrying because they got tangled on something. Without having a pump attached to their waste reminding them and everyone around them that they are different, they are sick! I don’t mean to sound that I am preaching here but of course I am. And another thing, I just don’t understand the negatives that I here from people about the OmniPod. I know for a fact that most of the bad info I read on the various boards about the OmniPod are pure speculation and not from real OmniPod users, these people have never even had an OmniPod in their hands much less actually tried using one. Even problems I have read about from people who tried the POD but had problems were for the most part due to ignorance in the proper use of the POD. Things like, “some many of the pods failed”, “the Pod did not activate”. If you follow instructions carefully you might not have so many problems. I all about a learning curve on any new system, the OmniPod is no exception. Some things to always make sure of are: -make sure your insulin is at room temperature before filling the pod, -when filling the pod make sure the needle is straight (not at a angle). -make sure you clean the area where the pod will be placed very well. These are just a few of the simple things that if not done right will make the pod not activate, fail or fall off. Using room temperature insulin is very important, if you use cold insulin the pod may not activate but people blame it on the pod. If you fill the pod with the needle at an angle then the pod will not fill correctly, or all the way, or may get air in it, again it may not activate or may fail. People blame it on the pod. You can’t be stupid here! The instructions must be followed as simple as they may or as unimportant as they may seem. I have been using the OmniPod system for months now and I have not come upon one single problem with any pod or anything else. Am I just lucky? Doubtful, no one with this disease is all the lucky!

I sincerely hope that I have just provided some insight and information here and not just added to the confusion or just ruffled some feathers here. If I offended anyone in anyway it was not my intent and I sincerely apologize before hand!

Peter

The main thing is to cleanse the skin and to let it dry thoroughly. If there is moisture, it doesn’t stick as well. We have had more problems with removing them than getting them to stay. My daughter is VERY dramatic with a small band aid so you can imagine how she is with removing that big of an adhesive. We tried the medical wipes you can buy that are an adhesive remover but those leave a residue. It took the pod off easily, but then we dealt with rashes from the residue we couldn’t get off her skin. We switched to covering the tape with baby oil and waiting 30 minutes. They peel right off. The downside is she has the active and inactive pod on at the same time so we have to remember which is which:)

We usually place her pods on her legs with the cannula pointing downward and then we put it horizontally on her rear. We tilt it slightly to vary the insertion spot and we flip the direction with the ones on her behind.

Good luck and I hope it goes as well for you and your daughter:)

One mother, Staci, who happens to be on this forum said she uses something called “De-Solv-It”. She said that you my it at Walmart and it is inert and harmless, does not burn.
You just spray it on and the pod adhesive comes right off. She also said that if was very inexpensive, a lot cheeper than medical adhesive removers or nail polish remover etc. She also said the you must pull the pod straight off! You could find her quote on the “How reliable on the Omnipod” discussion on page 2.

Thanks for the info and encouragement! I don’t understand how the billing works. Do you have to pay it all & then file for insurance?

Thanks for thinking of me, and asking your rep! That was really thoughtful of you.
I just got the new practice pod from the nurse. I haven’t heard back from the person at Insulet, so I guess I should contact the rep whose number I have.