Dummy Pod Problem

And both our daughters were diagnosed in October : )
Mine the 12th & 13th, depending on how one looks at it.

What I mean is her dr. actually said she had it on the 12th, then sent us to the endo for confirmation and insulin set-up on the 13th of October.

All these details help tremendously. Thanks so much.

Thank you!

Sounds great. I appreciate your suggestions!

I’m glad you are sold on it. Thanks for all this info.
Let me ask you some more questions about it:

1. You know some people talk very negatively about having “electrical fields” close to you, like sleeping in a waterbed (as I do) or near a cell phone base. Well, could it be dangerous to have this thing with a battery (batteries?) inside it right on you (maybe closer than another pump’s main part would be) ? That’s just me wondering.
  2. I know people fuss about it being environmentally harmful since there is a lot of waste with the pods tossed… Can’t they be recycled, or will that ever be an option?
  3. You mentioned the continuous glucose monitor. Do I need to get that also, going on the pump? The drawback I see there (besides more batteries on you!) is that you end up with twice as many skin sites to worry over and more potential scarring, maybe?
    Mind you, I Do still want the Omnipod.

First, No you do not need a continuous glucose monitor to use any pump including the OmniPod. However it would be nice to have one. I am trying to get the Abbott FreeStyle Navigator, it’s about a 6 week more wait. The OmniPod does have a build-in FreeStyle glucose monitor the will record the reading and advise a correction bolus or a corrected food bolus based on your glucose reading and any insulin that you have on board. When you get your OmniPod every thing you need, PDA, PODs, Blood Strips, Prep Wipes, Batteries, Instuctions, DVD, etc will come in the box. I would advise that you have your CED, Doctor or an Insulet Rep work with you to actually start pumping.

I guess when you said twice as many skin sites to worry over I think you where talking about using both the pump and the CGM, is that right? Well this might be true but when I was doing 6 injections a day before pumping think about how many skin sites I had. Also you are saving a little wear and tear on your fingers with the CGM :slight_smile: But you are right, I do not have plans to use the CGM every moment of my life just now and then to make sure everything is as it should be with the reading.

The batteries are the same size as watch batteries. There appears to be 3 or 4 of them in each POD. I can see on this could be anymore harmful to a human then wearing a watch. The POD is made out of very sturdy/heavy material so there would not be any leakage or anything like that. As for disposing the PODS I collect my used PODs and then bring them in bulk to my county battery collection site. They rip out the batteries and recycle them, I guess the rest of the plastic goes with the plastic recyclables.

About the dangers of electrical fields harming the pod user? The only thing that come out of the POD on a normal basis is the wireless communications. No one seems to worry about all the waves going thru our bodies coming from all directions from radio, TV, computers, lights, etc. so I am not going to worry about the pod’s waves. The motor for pumping and other electronics are only active when you are doing a bolus, basel, or requesting a status from PDA. I am not going to lose sleep over my POD when I talk on a cell phone several times a day. The OmniPod had to go thru the same rigorous testing and requirements that all the pumps go thru. to get approved. The approval process in the country is not an easy one for such medical devices. When you have concerns you should really speak to an Insulet (OmniPod) rep because they would always have the latest information on questions that you might have. By the way a lot of the Insulet personal that I have spoken to also use the OmniPod themselves so they usually could relate to your concerns and such.

About you water bed, I would think that most of the time you would have the POD on a part of your body that would usually not be against the actual bed (mattress) most of the time. I usually wear my PODs on my stomach area but I tend to roll over during the night on to my stomach so the POD is sometimes against the bed. I find it unusual that during my sleep that I don’t even notice that I am laying on my POD, then again I am big guy so maybe on a smaller person they might feel it more if they were lying on their pod :slight_smile:

Thanks.
Maybe I didn’t dry her skin well enough…