Early diabetes?

My miss 6 had had recurring bouts of random vomiting and urine ketones that has resolved with food and rest. The doctors suspected ketoic hypoglycaemia and advised urine dipstick testing and watching blood glucose levels. This started in July last year and have come and gone since then. We have been watching blood glucose and have had wild fluctuations but mostly under diabetic range from what I can tell. She is horribly irritable when she’s hungry too.

10 days ago she began random vomiting, was felling horrible before but within minutes after vomiting she was fine again until an hour or 2 after eating another meal. She then had a sudden onset of a severe headache that took days to go away and extreme fatigue. I took her to the doctor and she did bloods that all seemed good. HbA1c raised from 4.8 to 5.1 but still a good range. After 3 days she was fine and has seemed really good since.

Today, while driving home, about 2 hours after eating, she started screaming that her head was very very sore and about 5 minutes later, she started vomiting. She vomited 3x and about 30 mins after vomiting, began to come right again. I checked her blood sugar about 15 mins after the first vomit and it was 4.3.

It seems like this had been getting worse and becoming more frequent and I’m worried she may be developing diabetes.

I will try and attach her blood sugar readings to the post.

I was not aware of ketotic hypoglycemia, and found following helpful. It is not a form of diabetes, but has some things in common.

Treatment Edit
Once ketotic hypoglycemia is suspected and other conditions excluded, appropriate treatment reduces the frequency and duration of episodes.[5] Extended fasts should be avoided. The child should be given a bedtime snack of carbohydrates (e.g. spaghetti or pasta or milk) and should be awakened and fed after the usual duration of sleep. If the child is underweight, a daily nutritional supplement may be recommended. Raw cornstarch dissolved in a beverage helps individuals with hypoglycemia, especially that caused by Glycogen Storage Disease, sustain their blood sugars for longer periods of time and may be given at bedtime.

If a spell begins, carbohydrates and fluids should be given promptly. If vomiting prevents this, the child should be taken to the local emergency department for a few hours of intravenous saline and dextrose. This treatment is often expedited by supplying the parents with a letter describing the condition and recommended treatment.

These are normal blood sugars within the measuring ability of home glucose monitoring. Are you testing them on your doctors instructions? Or for your own curiousity?

My nephew’s son had similar issues starting when he was 2 or 3, including hypoglycemia, and the pediatrician ended up diagnosing him with migraines. Apparently, hypoglycemia is a symptom associated with migraines for some kids. I believe it may have some connection to the body’s response to the pain, adrenaline and the accompanying insulin secretion. Once they had the diagnosis, the doctor was able to prescribe the right medication for the migraines and my nephew and his wife were able to start seeing the signs early enough to give him the meds and head off the migraine.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your kind replies. After observing her for a while I am wondering if we may be seeing some reactive hypoglycaemia where the sugars may be high (not positive of this) and then a sudden drop is what’s causing the symptoms as she was eating really really well before yesterday’s episode.

Although that is obviously a question for your child’s doctor, I am familiar with somebody who does have a diagnosis of reactive hypoglycemia. Certainly one person’s symptoms may be quite different from another person’s symptoms for many conditions. That being said, the BG values which you have posted do not look anything like the BG of the person I am familiar with who has the reactive hypoglycemia diagnosis.

1 Like

Those bg’s do not look like diabetes. The symptoms being reported are way too extreme for the near-normal mild low or high blood sugars.

Yes I see some occasional higher numbers but all non-diabetics have bg excursions, (maybe kids more than adults).

1 Like

I know we just made a year since your last post, how is your child doing? Any diagnosis’s yet? Has the sugar pattern changed at all?

The OP last posted over a year and a half ago, and hasn’t been back to the site in 14 months.