Eeeeh

I’ve always wanted to have three kids, but as I get older, I realize I probably won’t have any. I got pregnant last year, and had a miscarriage. Even though I didn’t want to have a baby then, it still sucked losing it. I read about this woman who was diabetic, and she had three miscarriages before having a baby. I’m scared that even if I do have a healthy pregnancy and the baby comes out fine, that it’ll end up getting diabetes. I feel like my childhood was lost because of it, and I don’t want to take the chance of that happening because of me. I’ve decided that when I settle down I’ll adopt. I’m hoping to get my tubes tied as soon as I turn 18. I better not lose my insurance.

Hi Tiffani!

Many women with type 1 diabetes have healthy pregnancies and babies! If you want to talk with some of them, then you can look at our group called Oh Baby (click here).

The most important thing is to have VERY good blood sugar levels. Many doctors require an A1c under 6. Having high blood sugars may increase the chance of miscarriage.

It is very important that you plan your pregnancy. That also means that you should use birth control until the time that you plan to get pregnant.

Just on a more personal note, I have always wanted to adopt kids and I would still like to. I used to think that I would ONLY adopt kids, but when I got married a couple years ago, I actually decided that I would like to try to have kids. You may change your mind later in life and it would be good to keep your options open. There are good forms of birth control that you can use to make sure that you don’t get pregnant if you do not want to be.

I have been working to get my A1c below 6. It is not easy, but it is possible! My husband and I are hoping to have children in the next couple years. I can let you know how it goes :slight_smile:

Sorry for your loss with the miscarriage. As Kristin said, there are many women having healthy babies when the babies are planned and your a1c is good. So give yourself time to think about it and learn more.

I did want to let you know that is most states a doctor will not sterilize you at age 18 or even age 30 if you do not have kids already. There are laws in many states that take away this choice from you (even though a man of the same age can get a vasectomy, no questions asked). I personally wanted this option and was turned down by every OBGYN I went to, even with a note from my endo listing the reasons she agreed to my choice to not have kids. I was still told no and at this point I was 33 years old. So my hubby got snipped instead. They didn’t even ask him if he had kids, they just scheduled the procedure. So if you decide to not have biological kids and birth them yourself, see what the rules are in your state.

My wife’s mother , who is T1 since age 18 had three girls, the youngest is now forty, none of whom are diabetic. Don’t make a decision that you can’t reverse so early in life.

Many, many women experience miscarriages. Often it is so taboo that people don’t talk about it.