Effect of Hypo on pulse rate

I devellppod diabetic condition in year 1999. I opted for insulin therpy -
During my 14 years of diabetic tenure I had severe hyoo on three occasions.
I observed that my pulse rate had shot to 120 (my normal pulse rate is around 70 when I have normal sugar levels,
If a wrist alarm can be fabricated which gives an alarm when the pulse
rate crosses a pre-determined level - will it be helpful gadget to diabetics? Does such a gadget already exists in the market? If yes -what
is the brand? I am 82 now .
Please enlighten me on this
Yours
mokiza

I've never heard of such a device, and I've heard of some weird ones for diabetes. (There's one that's a tattoo that changes color based on blood sugar patterns. There's another that "reads" blood sugar through the skin with a special light scanner--I think this one is actually being trialed.)

I think that if it exists, it wouldn't be terribly reliable. There are many things that can make a person's pule rise, even that high. Exercise, for one, but also anxiety or nerves, many medical conditions (especially heart problems). Even bad headaches or dehydration can trigger a fast pulse.

If you think it'll work for you, though, there are some watches specifically designed for use with exercise that will emit an alarm when a person's pulse rate goes to a pre-set point. It's designed for maximum heart rate settings during exercise, but like I said, if it'll work for you, maybe you want to give it a shot.

The more lows diabetics experience the more they get used to lows. It is not that scary anymore and the brain has learned to cope with the situation (until you are far too low). Thus the secretion of adrenalin will be less pronounced with the years. Lows in the sleep do often develop very gradually. These can be overslept easily because the adrenalin response will not be triggered by small decrements of the blood glucose. This makes it more and more unlikely that an heart rate detector will be helpful for low detection. Though in your case it might be. But with 3 severe lows per 14 years you are really an exception in my opinion. Perhaps T2 patients will agree more and might find this type of gadget rather useful.

I don't think that HR is viewed as relible because there are many factors that can influence HR to elevate. That being said, I agree with guitarnut that there's a lot of sports marketed devices that incorporate HR meters and can display them, sort of like a CGM, so you can watch your HR while you work out. If you are finding HR to be an indicator, I would think one of them would be helpful. I have a Garmin that receives a signal from a monitor worn around my chest. It does other things (speed, distance, etc.) and is a bit pricey but I've enjoyed using it.

Raised pulse rate would be expected to be common with a harsh hypo (one that triggers a rebound or counterregulation). Your body releases cortisol which raises your heart rate. Perfectly normal.

But while it would work, it is a "lagging" signal. Cortisol is only released when you have a severe hypo, it isn't released to give you warning. I think what we want is a warning that lets us treat a hypo before it become severe. I think that there are often other subtle indicators of hypos in those of us that are hypo unaware that can be useful. While these indicators vary from person to person, you can learn to identify those indicators as a way of training yourself to identify an oncoming hypo and take action before it is severe. Research at University of Virginia developed a technique called Blood Glucose Awareness Training (BGAT) to help us do that. This training is offered at a variety of places, including Joslin.

Your comment and observation is wise and appealing
thank you

Now I recollect that I had have many hypos but severe ones were only on thee
occasions when I lot control on my control. Pulse may be triggering only on
reaching such extreem only.

Thank you indded

Thank you for your observation. I have failed to mention that pulse goes high
on reaching extreem stage of hypo - and not when we are assending towards hypo.
So such a device cannot be an early warning.

Your observation is more accurate - you have enhanced my observation

Mokiza,

I'm glad to see that you've posted about this idea! No matter what the outcome is, it's a very interesting idea and conversation :)