Elevations 1.5-2 hours afer meals

That is my biggest concern as I plan to go to T:slim Control IQ.

Dave. You just use fingersticks? How often? Question for all. After a meal, if you decide to snack say 2 hrs later, would u bolus again. I need to gain wt and can only try to increase kcal between meals. So would another bolus be ok only 2 hrs after a meal? Thanks

As much as possible we should try to match insulin and food. Since insulin absorption (for me) is 4 hours and food absorption (for me) 1s 1.5 hours. I put the full amount of insulin in before a meal (letā€™s say 4 units) and then eat the meal (only 2 units of carbs) and one to two hours later eat a dessert or a snack (another 2 units of carbs). This cuts down the meal spike. With a CGM you can be flexible and decide when and how much to eat later as you watch BG and IOB. Thatā€™s what I do and I have cut down on meal spikes and reduced average BG from 160 to 100.

more fat avacodos nuts

sometimes 3/day. I trust the CGM enough to eat/bolus. If Iā€™m going on a hike, I might test a finger. Iā€™d bolus for snack depending on circumstances. I canā€™t just flat-out say Iā€™d bolus. You have to take in the totality of your activity, past experience, type of food, current trends, etc.

Thank you. Have started this. Love both the food suggestions.

Brett

Great job with your BS!

My insulin absorption is 1hr Humalog and I can feel it. Thatā€™s why I try to choose meals and CHO that I know will absorb in an hour to hit the same time as insulin. At times it doesnā€™t and I go too high 200-220 before insulin kicks in and at other times, food is delayed and I will go low 80 before food kicks in. Then I will react by ingesting a glucose tab to get BS 90 or above but then will rise later due to past the 2 hour decline in insulin.

So difficult at times.

I have real problems with absorption. I inject in different parts of my abdomen and each place results in different absorption of food. In addition even with different absorption sites my meals donā€™t follow a set absorption pattern. Thatā€™s why I eat but not too much and see what happens. So if I go high I donā€™t go as high as I would have and if I go low I can see it with my CGM so I can eat before I go too long. For people like me, and perhaps like you, I am suggesting that we need to try something that works both ways. It has been very hard but I try hard and at time find a way to persevere. I was just throwing out an idea that I hoped might help.

Great idea. I always am trying to match food with insulin absorption. Some times I hit it and sometimes I donā€™t. I just want to minimize the spikes. Not happening often thank God. I feel that at times drops too quickly and then I over correct with food. Im so sensitive to BS rises and falls. Just feels awful at times as Im sure you know. Thanks for the info

Thanks

Thank you all so much for these great inputs as this is causing my lots of frustration as well as I am still on Pens and Novolog, but will switch to a tandem when I am comfortable with how to deal with the fat and protein and have put on a little fat for it to sit on. I split my protein meal for lunch in two as I am retired and this seems to work ok, but I had one of those 200 days yesterday. Thanks again.