Eleven Years Later, And Still Standing Strong!

Lately, so much has raced through my mind as today, November 4th, approaches. It is officially here and my mind is everywhere about this very date.

Now I’m sure you’re wondering why this date has so much significance to me. Today, eleven years ago, at the age of six, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

Now, if you were to ask me to recall the day of my diagnosis, I could not tell you about it because I do not remember. However, if you were to ask my parents they would tell you that it was a very traumatic time.

For eleven years now, I have been fighting this disease and each day I continue to fight it.

Some see diabetes as a horrible thing. I am not one of those people. Over the years, I have learned that an important apsect of diabetes management is your mindset towards diabetes. I personally have the belief that positivity is key to successfully managing diabetes. I think that there is no good in sulking over something that you cannot change. You need to come to terms with what you have been given and make the most of it despite.

There are good days with diabetes, and there are bad. Even through the bad days you need to pick your head up and keep on going. Everybody has them. I really think that your struggles only make you stronger. Diabetes is the perfect example of that.

For eleven years now, I have been fighting this battle. At times it is a struggle, but as I previously stated your struggles only make you stronger as diabetes has for me. Diabetes has given me so much. There are so many more gains with diabetes than there are losses and all of this has only made me stronger. Life is a blessing and diabetes is nothing more than a barrier. I was given diabetes because I am strong enough to handle it. As they say, diabetes is not for the weak and I am not weak.

I do not see my diaversary as a bad thing. I see it as another year that I have proven that I will not let diabetes win. I am stronger than diabetes and I will not let it win. Diabetes is nothing more than a barrier thrown at me that I am strong enough to handle.

As I look back and reflect on my eleven years with T1D I cannot help but be proud of myself. I am proud because despite the struggles, I have kept on going. I am proud that I have stuck it out this long and I have survived.

So, here’s to eleven successful years with diabetes and hopefully so many more to come!

Congratulations!

Good job

BRAVA Cayla...and an awesome blog!!