Embarrassing Interview

So one of my worst fears actually happened a handful of weeks ago. I was interviewing for what seemed at the time a pretty neat job (until I learned I’d be traveling to some undesirable places) when my 670g started beeping in my chest! My bra was the only place I could hook it during the interview without being noticed as I had a dress on. At this point I was interviewing with the president and VP of the department and my eyes got really big as they continued speaking. Eventually the annoyance got to me and I started pressing buttons on my chest and muffled out, “excuse me, that’s my insulin pump.” No one said a word but they looked at me like an alien with literally a third boob. Needless to say I didn’t get the job but I have to look back now and laugh about it. :joy: By the way does anyone know how to completely silence the 670 without turning it off? Haha

7 Likes

Well good you probably did not want it anyway

You should have just told them the mother ship wants you back ASAP

6 Likes

So sorry to hear that and in the moment it must have been excruciating. But in retrospect it is pretty funny. :grin:

2 Likes

Now, funny, but ahhh so stressful at the time. I always try to go in with above numbers if I know I’m going to be stressed. Most people’s blood sugar goes up, but mine likes to drop.

1 Like

Sorry for your troubles but glad to read that you now see the humor in it!

Your story reminds me of Kerri Sparling’s misadventure with a pump attached to her bra while sitting in a nice restaurant during a business dinner with her husband and his associates.

It’s a funny story entitled, Rockin’ Them Disco Boobs! Enjoy.

2 Likes

Not exactly similar but sort of: I often wear the Dexcom receiver strapped around my waist under my hockey gear. If asked in the locker room “What’s that?” I will sometimes say “It’s my life monitor, if its alarm goes off call the funeral home.”

3 Likes

In this day and age I don’t think an instance like that equates to “needless to say you didn’t get the job…” I’ve often joked that I’m going to my next job interview dressed in women’s clothes and in a wheelchair so I’d be sure to get the job

3 Likes

Reminds me of the time at one of our Community meetings we had a speker on an unrelated subject. After my 670G had to be silenced, the female speaker had to silence her Medtronic Pump by pushing buttons under her bra and continued her presentation until it started to beep again. I told her to check her pump and clear up the issue but she preferred to continue “pressing her bra” until she finished her presentation.

After the presentation. we had a long discussion comparing our pumps.

2 Likes

Oh my God, that happened to me during an interview with a very important man. It was mortifying. Although, it wasn’t in my bra. Thats much worse, LOL.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Sam19, I think if I really wanted that job I would have done just that! In the last job interview I had I openly expressed that I wore an insulin pump and how this device technically motivated and inspired me. I got the job because I owned it, but then again the interviewers weren’t shockingly staring at my chest not knowing what to say. :joy:

2 Likes

Hahahahah

1 Like

Thanks @Tony24 that’s a great link on how to silence the pump. If I’m being honest I’ll probably never use it after seeing the response I received, it’s a little exhilarating to watch men in suits loose their cool ya know?

2 Likes

hey I interviewed with my pants unzipped.

I got the job.

4 Likes

Thats just because the interviewer found you so attractive, @Rphil2. That wont work for the rest of us.

3 Likes

No way I’m going to ask what type of job you got.

3 Likes

There were nine of them and no one found me attractive. It had more to do with being the only applicant. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

hehehe, just teasing you, Rphil2. nine? Thats like a firing squad.

1 Like

Nine bosses nine interviewers. I later asked if they noticed I had my pants unzipped. Yes came the answer, we just did not have a choice otherwise we would have told you zip up and go home.

By the way I stopped at a McDonald’s on the way home to get a diet coke, and the drive thru was closed so I went in. The young girl at the counter, a high school student, said ahh sir your pants are unzipped. Yes I said, my wife will not let me zip them up. I nearly died laughing when I got to the car,until I realized what had happened at the interview. Oh well I thought that place would have been to work at. They called the next day and offered the job. You just never know.

2 Likes

I had the alarms go off in front of my least favorite supervisor. He kept saying what is that noise I just kept talking. Then he asked again and I said it was me,
with no explanation and I kept talking. Most folks think it is a phone with the audio alerts except when the pod expires.

1 Like