Enablers

One of the important lessons I’ve learned at TuD, interacting with T2Ds, is that the social stigma associated with T2D is not justified, at all. I for one, address this with my circle of family and friends whenever the issue arises.

Science is starting to uncover the reality that the actual physiological move towards T2D happens before an appetite increase, significant weight gain, and an eventual diagnosis. Diagnosis often lags disease start by many years.

And I’m certainly aware that obesity is not the definitive marker of T2D as there are many T2Ds who are normal weight. This situation is prevalent in India. Some practitioners refer to this as TOFI or thin outside, fat inside.

No, it’s not fun to be the object of derision. and in this case it’s unjustified, ignorant, and unfair. This will be a tough meme to overcome but will change one person at a time. I’m doing what I can by talking with my social circle and writing about it here.

2 Likes

I’ve been known to stretch topics beyond the initial issue. I plead guilty!

My point still stands, however. I see the term enabler as someone who has significant influence over an outcome and consciously or unconsciously allows and enables that situation to continue. Where I disagree with your assertion is that I don’t think patients have much influence over the insurance system infrastructure. We are small players in this scenario.

I do concede that in the situation where buying an item without insurance when it’s cheaper than the insurance copay, we can exert an influence. But when we procure items using insurance and that is our best economic choice, then I don’t see that situation as enabling.

Wow, this is a good post, @Stemwinder_Gary. Thanks for your perspective.

1 Like

And the majority of overweight individuals do not have Type 2 and many Type 1s are overweight. It’s being reported now that …

“Currently, around 50% of patients with T1D are either overweight or obese”

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/does-insulin-make-you-fat-612575/

And we should.

There is more that unites us than divides us. We should rally as a unified group, all types of diabetes speaking on behalf of the other.

I am a fully aware that being obesity does not define a diabetic, (note my sister just completed weight loss surgery, and lost 84 pounds, nope not a diabetic. I am the only one in the family)

That won’t change the prevailing opinion of the the US public. That is for the diabetes community to do.

2 Likes

Agreed!

More on this theme from a T1D in Ireland.

While the rate of social change on this issue seems agonizingly slow, things are changing and we need to keep pushing.

2 Likes

Here’s one of our state hearings where they are talking to the PBMs. You might need to create a MyBills accnt to hear it. I’m not sure…http://ww2.house.leg.state.mn.us/audio/mp3ls91/hhspol031219.mp3

Yes! Thank you for sharing!

The articles parting words …

Diabetes: Type United, because we are stronger together!

1 Like

Great thoughts, all i think from T1’s. I would like to hear from T2’s

The reality to me is that T1’s have the greatest need. To keep on living is a big thing., But T2’s have the mass of those diagnosed. And the the most potentional for big pharma, (those guys) to make the mega bucks. The community should focus on how to balance this.

2 Likes

I think there are many types of T2, but no tests are done beyond the simple one to diagnose diabetes. Some of us can manage on diet or exercise alone if we work hard at it. Others need medication for the rest of their lives. We are sitting ducks for whatever the pharmaceutical companies decide to throw at us. Many of us are not told that carbs have a direct effect on our blood sugars. In Australia T2s not on insulin do not get subsidised test strips to test ourselves. I also do not think I would have any chance at all of getting a CGM. In other words the dice are stacked against T2s. Me, I am off to have a glass of wine to help me through the evening!

5 Likes