End of My Rope ;-)

Hello jims;

I love Vancouver with it's spectacular back drop; you're a lucky Canadian! I'm located just outside of Saskatoon, and, while we have lots of molehills, we've never managed to make mountains of 'em! I believe that you are right about the liver dumping; I tried your suggestion of taking metformin at bedtime, and, while my numbers were a little better this morning, (9.3), I'll just continue on and see what my Dr. says.

Thank you for your time and trouble,

james

Thank you Helen;

I'd read that 40% of protein gradually gets converted. At the same time I hadn't really given much thought to fat, just tried to avoid it on general principles. I was having a lot of eggs, occasional sasuage and ground beef, and fleshing meals out with cheese. I will certainly look into this fat issue. I had no idea that all-bran was frowned upon, I just felt that I needed a boost in fiber to aid my digestive process.

Thanks again,

james

From the nutrition label, the second ingredient in All Bran is sugar. I tried it early on, looking at carbs and fiber it looked like it might work, but it spikes me. YMMV

Hi James

Knowing what I know now I would not be resigned about the possibility of having to use insulin. I think that most T2's on insulin will tell you that they wish they had started sooner. Most doctors will let a T2 languish for years with poor control because they or the patient don't want to take the insulin step. All the while the complication are adding up which is sad because most complications can be prevented if insulin is introduced and control is gained earlier.

Good luck with the doctor James and please keep us posted on how you are doing. There is a large community of knowledgeable people here whose only wish is to help.

Gary S

James:

While we all share our own experiences to hopefully share ideas; be sure at all times you check any changes with your Doctor, Diabetes team et all to ensure any changes are appropriate, safe and approved in your particular case.

Your Doctor and Diabetes team are your safety officers and responsible for your care. Please do not try things without their review and approval at all times.

Best wishes and good luck with your health.

Hi Emmy;
I've been reading up on insulin, as well as reading through the group you suggested. Thank you for your response; I'll let you know how I make out.

james

If you decide insulin is needed, perhaps your doc will go along. A T2 requesting insulin is probably not something he has encountered and it may throw him for a loop. Sometimes it's necessary that we advocate for ourselves and not just go along with the program.

Hello BadMoon;
Yesterday was wierd in more ways than one. As I left home to see Dr. a storm was blowing in, and the radio reported much of the west half of the city was in darkness, my wife called to say she was being sent home due to lack of electricity and highway conditions. My testing facility was closed, my pharmacy and my library as well. My Dr. though is on the East side.
I gave him a print out of my numbers for the last month; he didn't like them. I asked him about my last A1C and was informed that it was 8.1. Dr. told me that changes would have to be made, so I asked why they weren't made three months ago, as he'd told me then he was concerned? I told him that I hadn't been happy with my testing numbers for the last two years! I did tell him that I was interested in trying insulin, and was informed that it was too soon. He said that I'd just moved to 'step 2', and that he had a pill that would bring my blood sugar under control within a month. I said that I'd try it.
He then instructed me to really adhere to his 'diabetic diet', which, I believe, is fairly typical: it suggests that an adult male should have 60 to 75 carbs per meal. I told him that I'd been following that type of diet for ten years, and, while it had seemed to work, (with exercise), untill about two years ago, it certainly didn't seem to be working now.
His goal for his patients is an A1C of 7%; I've alwats been a little surprised at how what I considered high fasting numbers could continually register A1C numbers that my Dr.s found acceptable.
I asked about low carb diets, and definitly got the impression that he is not in favour of them. He did offer to send me to a diabetic dietician, but that would just get me drilled on the information which I've had drilled into me before. Dr.s are in very high demand here-abouts; it took my wife and I much time and effort to get this one. His practice is full, and he took me because I was diabetic, and he automaticly takes spouses of patients. So, I guess that I will try this new pill, and see how it works over the next 90 days.

Thank you,

james

I missed the comment about the super low glycemic diet.

In fact, such diet while cutting the carbs also tasks the liver to fill in with extra glucose on buttom end as BG drops sub 70.

If your liver is mistakenly dumping in too much glucose as it thinks it cannot see insulin present or the quantity, Liver can put out too much glucose and on some unfortunate folks ; the whole liver buffer.

So far, extra basil insulin shots can help; the only drug that can stop that is metformin. The other step is to up the carbs a little in diet and stop bg going sub 100 so that liver does not get tasked to add extra glucose on sub 70 levels.

just a thought.

Hi jims;

I'm not sure which comment you refer to. I did try low glycemic for one week prior to looking at the low-carb plan. I've never seen my numbers go sub 70, which, just off the top of my head would be apx. 3.5 mm/l. The lowest number I've ever found is 4.8 and that was some years ago. Currently it is rare for me to see a fasting number of 130.
I've ordered the 'Diabetes Solution', and am eager to look into it.

Thank you

james

Sounds like you had a strange day James. Best of luck with the new treatment. We have the same doctor shortage here. It's tough!

my apologies, my brain saw same thing when you said low carbs.

I should have shared that you probably would not see unless you are doing frequent fingerpricks or on cgms. I forgot being spoiled by extra data.

My apologies. Have a great day.

Not at all Super_sally;

...provided you don't mind that I cannot answer. My Dr. did mention the name, but they all sound the same to me. When I left his office I looked at the script, but couldn't make sense of his scribble. At my pharmacy the electricity was out, but I left the script there to be filled later. My Resident Love Goddess was going to pick it up after work today, but, got up this morning, and, upon seeing the state of our roads, came back to bed. As Scarlet O'Hara proclaimed, "Tomorrow is another day". I only hope that my pharmisist can read it, and I'll give you a full report tomorrow.

james

Good Morning Super_sally;
My new drug is Diamicron MR, or "gliclazide", in 60 mg tablets, to be taken once each morning. I did a search on it on the 'net, and it sounds effective. Has anyone here had experience with this med?
At the same time I've come to the conclusion that I have an infected tooth; I'd mentioned the possibility to my Dr. as possibly contributing to the erratic readings I've been getting lately, but he dismisses that sort of thing. Any how, my dentist has me on anti-biotics, and, next Wednesday, my Molar, if not March, will indeed be, "Going out like a lion!"
I'll inform you of my BS progress, and keep my bloody fingers crossed!
Have a great day, and thank you for your concern,

james

Hi James. Gliclazide or Glipizide is a sulfonylurea. There is a lot of information about sulfonylureas on this site including many great links. I am not great at posting links. If you post a discussion on the general forum asking about sulfonylureas you will probably get some great links to read.
I am probably the worst member to respond to your post as most of my posts have been rants complaining about diamicron. Both my brother and I were taking the highest dose of this drug with devastating results. My advice would be to proceed with caution, tests frequently and watch for signs of neuropathy should your numbers go up instead of down. Joanne

Mornin' Peetie;
Thank you for the advice ...I'll look into it. I have been taking the Diamicron & an anti-biotic for three days now, as well as keeping real low on my carbs, and my numbers are coming down. At the same time they are contiuing to ramp up between bedding down in the evening and rising in the morning. I was pleased to get a 126 last night, but, found 160 when I got up this morning.
james

Morn'n Emmy;
I've alway noticed that relationhip between rotten tooth & rotten readings; my Dr. dismisses them but, fortunately, my Dentist knows her stuff. I'm on clyndimicin, and am taking it faithfully ...I've had an infected jaw bone before.
Thank you,

james

Morn'n Super_sally;
No need to apologize for delay ....I knew there was an important reason! If you don't mind my enquiring, what variety of baby did you have?
I did ask Dr. about moving on to insulin, but he insisted that that would be skipping a step, and that this drug was what would be appropriate right now. He told me nothing about potential side effects, not even low blood sugars during sleep! Yes, after a little reading, I do see lot's of reason for concern. When I get this dental issue settled I'll schedule another appointment with Dr.
I'm currently on 2,000 mg of Metformin per day, and have been for many years. In the meantime, between the new med. and the anti-biotics, my BS is way down. Before bed last night it was 6.5 - this am it was 8.1! So I still have the rising rate over night!
Congratulations on your delivery & hope all is well,

james