End of Week 4 Marathon training - Hitting stride

Well, the temps came down over the weekend, though the humidity/dew point during the week was horrible.

29 Miles this week. 6 mile pace run on saturday, and unlike last week's pace run, I came in a bit under my goal pace. My goal pace for the marathon is 8:46, which is a 3:50 marathon. Sat run was an 8:40 average. A little fast, and I don't want to over do it and mess with recovery, but was glad to come in under, because last week, with the heat, I was 8 sec's per mile over. Sundays run was 11 miles, my first double digit milage since my May 30th marathon, and I felt great, even though I didn't get out of the house until 10:30 am. My long run pace is about 30 sec slower than my goal pace. So, shooting for about 9:15. Ran too fast on this run as well (tired of running through the wall of humidity lately) 9:04 pace for the 11 miles. Then I spent the afternoon moving a ton of hot, wet wood chips around the yard!

Bg levels have all been great, often fastings are below 100. Unfortunately I am not a typical type 2 who can loose a lot of weight and then be in "remission" -- if I eat carbs, my first stage insulin response tanks and my BG shoots up, unless I am on meds.

Continuing with flexabilty and core work has left me pain free with more speed work outs and longer runs, so hopefully that will continue.

I think most people can run, depending on the training arc. You have to take that first step, and the second, and the 10,000th. Maybe those steps will turn into strides. You may not run a marathon. You just might. I certainly had no intention of running a marathon when I first started. I could barely run 1/2 a mile. But people can do much more than they think. Your body is an amazing machine, vehicle, vessel, whatever. It can bounce back from much of the damage its endured. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks. Don't do it to to prove anything to anyone else. Do it because you think you can't; And once you can, you'll do it more and more. I believe that once you achieve small goals you can build on those, and before you know it, you have a plan to qualify for the Boston Marathon.

Keep up the good work, T2R.

Yes, it can be done. I hated running but started after I was diagnosed because it was cheap and because I knew it would help keep my BG down. Then I decided to run the L.A. Marathon. I was smart enough to sign up for training with a fund raising group - the Leukemia foundation, because at the time I couldn’t find a group that supported diabetes treatment AND could help me with training.

I encourage anyone who’s interested in starting and exercise program to start slow, as T2R did, and to find a local group that will help you train. Fund raising for a worthy cause is not nearly as hard as you might fear it will be and, of course, the group will help you along the way.

I’ll never qualify for Boston, but now I’m a runner for life. Good luck to you, T2R

Thanks Terry. Good point on the fundraising. If you want to raise funds for any event you do, you can connect with DESA (www.diabetes-exercise.org) a sport specific diabetic non-profit: http://diabetes-exercise.org/fundraising.html. Or you can raise funds for the American Diabetes Association as well. i don’t have the link right now but they do have a seperate fundraiser application that allows you to raise funds for them, no matter what even you are involved in.

As for running groups, most running shoe stores have all levels of running groups and are a great place to start. Don’t be intimidated. I pretty much learned by reading: runners world, No Need for Speed (John Bingham), and anything I could get my hands on for running, including Sheri Colbergs The Diabetic Athletes Handbook.

Not much info out there for type2s even though we make up more than 90 percent of diabetics. There are a lot of minor things you should be aware of, but unless you are a T2 and taking insulin or a sulfonylurea, or have other significant health issues such as CAD, neuropathy, etc., then you should be able to start slowly and use non-diabetic training plans. Test yourself frequently!