Endo and PA Issues

Hey palominovet, I agree that by staying on MDI a bit longer, it will help you with pumping. The skills in carb counting will transfer to the pump and be one less thing to learn at that point.

Feel free to let me know of any questions you have about the pod. Everyone is different and it depends on what's important to you in a pump.

I chose OmniPod because I didn't like the idea of the tubing and the insertion needles for the other pumps intimidated me. The OmniPod insertion is so darn easy, to me; it does all the work of insertion for you and tells you what to do on the PDM. The PDM is user friendly and self explanatory - easier to figure out than my cell phone.

I also use a Dexcom cgm and the OmniPod feels just like a bigger Dexcom to me. I honestly don't feel either one of them when I have them on.

If you're considering a cgm and if you're thinking about a Dexcom, I'd suggest considering doing one at a time - either the pump first then cgm or the other way around. I did the Dexcom first and then pod, which made it easier in the long run for me I think.

thanks, S&N...that is SO great about your pump. I hear ya, i started on Lantus, didn't like it, then went to Levemir, but i agree, they're so unpredictable; basal scares me much more then a bolus. especially for those of us who are insulin sensitive. keep, if you would - could, posting about your pump, etc...i'm excited to hear about your new journey with this. My pump nurse said in all her years of pump training, there's only 1 person who went off the pump..well, actually she was told to go off it because she was over bolusing all the time (guess she had some mental challenges). I'm so glad you love it. Keep me posted..start a blog..no?? :)

I haven't yet started the process, and am holding off to see if I can find a better option for getting one. I'm just nervous about telling the endo group that I don't want to see that endo, I feel somehow it will create issues for me there.

I'm OK not getting the pump for a while, just to not have to see or talk to her again, honestly.

We can definitely get through this :) Thanks for being a friend :)

I think the process is you call the new doc and tell them you want to see them and they call the old doc and order copies of your records. And then the old doc and the new doc fight about it. You don't have to talk to the old doc about it.

great reponse, AR. That's what I did Palominovet. Are these endos in the same practice, the 'new one' you want to see who helped your sister, or are they separate practices? If they're in the same practice, I found it was nearly impossible to switch to a new one. If they're not, maybe see if you can get an appointment with the endo you want to see, don't cancel yet your appointment with your current endo..as it may take a while to get in. or cancel it if you really don't want to go back. You're already getting a bad vibe there and rightfully so. I think we've all had a bad d team member and you're so right, they shouldn't make any of this difficult or make US - you feel uncomfortable especially since you're doing SO well so Quickly. Like I said, I had a nurse who said the same thing to me too, I told my endo about it..it made me so upset, I also sent an email. Funny, 2 weeks later she no longer worked there, coincidence..IDK? I eventually just found a new Endo and Team and it's been wonderful, the care, feeback has been incredible. I felt the same thing to..like, 'no one even looks at my numbers, how can they adivse anything'. does anyone download your meter when you're there?

If you want to just change to a totally new endo, you don't have to say anything to them, just follow the good advice that AR gave..you don't have to go back there or talk to them. Good luck! this is hard enough to handle, manage without the support of a good team.

Also, just thought I'd add, don't rush to go on a pump, you're still so new at this, titrating, etc...do it when YOU feel comfortable and no one can tell you when that is.

The new one will be happy to "steal" you away from the competition. Too bad you can't be in on the call when they ask for your records? Heh heh heh.

I’ll definitely ask her… I plan on showing her the emails too that have been exchanged.

You are probably right about her just trying to be nice about it. But then that brings me to the point of why should I go somewhere that has very little time for their patients? My CDE said that when she worked there, she would see eight patients a day and only had an hour with each one. She definitely spent more than that with me the first appointment I had with her.

I’m still indecisive on which pump.

The new one has her own clinic in another city. I just called and she isn’t accepting diabetics right now, but should be in a few months… So I’ll just talk to my CDE and see what she suggests. I’d prefer to have a supportive group first before I get the pump anyway…

THe folks that say you are testing too much simply don't know the scientific literature.

There are numerous studies that show the more people test, the better their A1C.
Just a few:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20337978
http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/centers/Ba...
http://abstract.t1dxresearch.org/2011/AssocFreqSMBGandHbA1cLevels.pdf

(See figures 2 and 3)

Furthermore, a study just came out from the T1DExchange shgowing that people also get lower A1C from using a CGM.

The folks criticizing you are simply out of date!

The only case where the data is more equivocal is for people with T2DM who are also not using insulin.

I like BSC advice. Learn the Diabetes basics first. You need to know how to handle your diabetes without a pump first. When you understand how insulin reacts in your body with excercise, emotion, eating out and much much more then consider a pump. Changing your I:C ratio without doing it for a period of time can be a problem. If you make changes on your own, you may not realize how that change is actually effecting you. You may not even know if it is actually a basal change that needs changing. Your I:C can be crazy for no reason today, but perfect the next. You will have a better idea of how to react and if a change is actually needed. I would suggest managing your diabetes with MDI for a least a year, before considering going on a pump. I have been doing this for 40 years. Don't expect your diabetes to be perfect everyday. I am going to side with your CDE or Endo. Don't micromanage. Enjoy your life.

Were you trying to raise your blood sugar with those two tablespoons of peanut butter? Peanut butter is not very good at all for that purpose (as you saw). You need something more pure carbs without fat that will act quickly to bring you up the desired amount.

Get Walsh's Pumping Insulin.
Micromanage. Micromanage. Micromanage.
Keep your humor.

like the new pic! remember too 1/2 units. Or, while still on MDI's try splitting your basal dose..have you thought about that? That was recommended to me by my Endo before I went on the pump because it gives one a better picture of basal settings, how much to do AM - PM, etc..i use 1/2 units for everything. I'm probably the only one in my endo's office who does 1/2 units for basal, but..it works for me. if 10 is not enough and 11 is too much, try 10.5, or 5.5 am and 5 pm dose, depending on if you have DP, need more in afternoon, vs. morning, vs. evening.

I was more concerned with going lower, not pushing it up. Today went fine so I probably freaked for no reason yesterday. I do realize things can vary though

Yeah, we split my doses a couple weeks ago because I noticed that the Lantus wasn't lasting the full 24 hours. It's better now. The PA wanted me to go up to 11 units this week from 9 units last week- I only went up to 10 units instead and am having consistent readings in the 70s for fastings.. so I'll leave it for now. I probably do need pens with 1/2 unit increments if I'm going to stay with MDI for a long time, but I'll leave it until I talk with the CDE.

Haha, thanks. I've already gotten the book in anticipation. And I will indeed micromanage, lol.

I'm enjoying my life. I just don't appreciate being talked down to.

The PA at the Endo office is the one pushing the pump. I have a very busy and active lifestyle as I am in my fourth year of veterinary school. I understand the pathophysiology behind diabetes and other related metabolic disorders in animals which has helped me to more quickly understand the same in my own body. We also use insulin in animals.. and glucometers. I mean, this is really not that different. It's easier in cats and dogs that eat the same diet because you don't have to worry about I:C ratios, but it's the same idea.

I know not to make more than one change at once. However, when you switch from weeks of a day rotation, to a week of vacation, to weeks of overnight shifts, changes must be made.

I appreciate your input on waiting on the pump for a year or more, but my micromanaging has already allowed me to fine tune things rather well in the last few weeks. My fastings are in the 70s to 80s and I rarely spike above 150. My micromanagement also allowed me to enjoy my vacation in New Orleans and Memphis quite a bit last week, without threat or fear of hypoglycemia or running high all the time.

While I realize I still have a lot to learn about how my own body reacts to things and that those of you who have been doing this for years and years know your bodies much better than I know mine right now... I'm going to be okay, even if I went on a pump tomorrow.

That's totally bad-■■■ that you are enjoying your life!

I kno, rite?!!! :p