Endo Appointment

Just came back from my endo appointment. My cholesterol came way down and that’s good. But my weight is 228 and I want to be about 180. Also, my morning sugars have been staying high, so he increased my morning basal rates. I now pump 71.45 units a day JUST from basals. I am on six bipolar meds which is causing some insulin resistance. I also take 2,000 mg of Metformin a day. What can I do to counteract all of this? Seems like the doctor is doing all he can.

Congrats,

How’d you get your cholesterol down?

It sounds like you’re balancing those things well to me

I’m on 2 meds for cholesterol. Both levels went way down but I’m still on the meds. I was eating a lot of fast food but started eating sandwiches for lunch.

Right on… Mine is getting a bit high, but I think that’s largely because of the way I learned to eat to manage my blood sugar… He said he wants me to try to eat cleaner for the next six months to see if I can lower it naturally without meds-- I think I have a fighting chance of doing so especially now that I use afrezza because I don’t have to nearly replace carbohydrates in my diet with fats now…

How are you using Afrezza? As just a correction insulin or for mealtime along with a 24 hour insulin? I’m still pumping after 14 years but if I can lose about 50 lbs I’m going to consider MDI. It’s just that right now I’m on a crap ton of psych pills for bipolar disorder and those pills along with the illness itself makes it harder for me to control my sugars.

For me, it works amazingly well. I’ve written about it on here extensively.

does it seem to work pretty good ?

Oops I accidentally wrote over my old post… Typing while on exercise bike-- yes I use it with meals, after I finish eating, and occasionally for corrections and I use lantus 1x daily. For me afrezza works amazingly well. I’ve written about my great results with it quite a bit in other posts.

have you ever pumped?

I haven’t…

My endo isn’t prescribing Afrezza now, and my ex doctor (a type 1 himself who pumps) isn’t either. they said all it is is sliding scale. do you have tight control with it ?

I have unbelievably tight control with it, and I think their characterization of it as a “sliding scale” does not do it justice.

I’ve had A1C as low as 4.9 with MDI. I am very familiar with tight control, what it means, and how to achieve it. I achieve extremely tight control with afrezza with a fraction of the effort— and that is no joke.

Look at my profile and look for posts relating to afrezza. Also check out @mikep. If you look up “tight control” in the dictionary, you’ll find a picture of us using afrezza.

@Cocheze I pump and use Afrezza. My pump is only used for basal and Afrezza for all meal and correction boluses. My endo has been amazed with the control I’ve had since starting on Afrezza. It has worked tremendously well for me (and Sam too).

Sorry to hear your endo won’t prescribe.