Energy and depression

Hey all, I have been Type1 for 46 years. I take 3 shots daily and have good A1C’s, I separated my left shoulder a year ago, and have torn rotator cuff in right shoulder. I have no insurance. For the past 8 months, there’s some days I don’t get out of bed, my energy level is zero and my depression is terrible. I have Low T, but quit taking injections due to all the news about the health risks involved. I still take my Thyroid and cholesterol meds. I really don’t sleep, stress and worries, but I’m at my wits end. I’ve battled this for 46 years and am just tired. Thanks, and God bless all.

Hi Mike, I can sympathize with you about shoulder problems, I had shoulder surgery earlier this year.

Depression among diabetics of all types is very common. We have a group for people that suffer depression, you can find it here. Diabetics with Depression.

Thank you Gary.

Don't you have access to health insurance via the Affordable Care Act?

I suffered a series of terrible falls in 2012 that left me with a broken knee, a broken hip and a broken arm. I was in bed for weeks and on crutches for months. I was not able to walk unaided for almost a year. I spent a lot of time wondering if I would ever be the same again. It was a very depressing time.

All I can say is you have to force yourself to get up and get out. Don’t give in to the depression. It will take you over quicker than anything else. If your legs work, take a walk (start slow if you’ve been down for a while). You will be envigorated and the endorphins will kick in to give you a lift.

It’s been two years since I was stuck at home and in bed with a broken hip. I’m walking pretty good now although my leg is never going to be completely back to normal. I walk every day with my dog even though I don’t go as far or as fast as I once did. There are still days when I have to force myself to go. I’m always glad when I get back from my walk. I enjoy my home (and my bed) even more. Walking is the best medicine for someone who has been down for an extended time.

I hope you are feeling better very soon.

I have Medicare but don’t have a supplemental to go with it. I can’t find a doctor to just do surgery for the Medicare. I use to walk 2 miles a day. I walked one day last week, I have no energy or motivation, I’ve been divorced a long time and am just by myself. Thanks though.

I think you need a little tough love right now. You are the only person with the power to change the way things are. You have to motivate yourself to get up, get out, keep moving and keep fighting. We know you are tired. We all are.

To take a walk last week isn’t good enough. You have to make yourself do it every day for several weeks before the transition takes place. Your thinking will switch from “if” you are going to take a walk to “when” you are going to take a walk. You will start to look forward to it. On the days you don’t go you will miss it and feel like you have been cheated out of something great.

I’m advocating walking because you have a shoulder injury but it could also be swimming, bike riding, jogging, aerobics. Anything that raises your heart rate and gets your blood pumping is the goal.

You will reap the benefits in a big way with tighter control, better sleep, less stress. I could go on but I think you can get the message. Make yourself get up, get out and do something.