"Eskalith" Also known as: Lithium carbonate

Hi Ya’ll long time no hear!

I started Lithium on the 1st of this month and I have noticed that my fasting morning numbers are running a bit higher than normal.

PRE LITHIUM I was running 99 to 115

Now I am running 121, 130 no higher than 130 though.

Dinner: 4, 4:30, 5 and 5:30 at the latest. Mostly, 4 PM though.

NPO after dinner due to me now going to bed at 8:30 and getting up at 5 AM.

I am supposed to eat something when I take the lithium but I dont now because that made my morning numbers a tad higher.

Is it natural for Lithium to up your fasting morning BS?

– CM

Lithium is a very complex medication. Your pharmacist needs to know every medication you are on to make sure there are no issues with contraindication. If you need to take this with food experiment with snacks to see what helps. Talk to your diabetes educator to see if this changes blood sugar levels. Good luck,Nancy

Also eating at 4pm. could change fasting,do you take medication when you eat? Nancy50

The only meds I take after I eat is my fish oil pills. ( 2 of them)

The Lithium I take later on about 7:30 PM. The CVS bottle says take with food but I noticed that I am in the higher 120s when I do so I just stopped eating before I took my lithium.

Well, CVS does have everything on file that I fill every month.

Its funny, now that I think back on it, CVS didn’t even give me a consultation when I first picked up the medication!!

Chris

It is really troubling that your pharmacist didn’t talk to you about lithium, since blood tests are so important while taking it.

My son started taking lithium when a young teen and it turned his life around. I love that drug. He was taking unusually high amounts of it. We switched to a Canadian vitamin when he was 16 and I was able to eventually wean him off of lithium.

1 Like

There is a nice article about this. No solicitous.

https://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/home/topics/mood-disorders/effects-of-impaired-glucose-metabolism-on-lithium-and-other-mood-stabilizers/

It’s like a miracle!

I mean I have never been this calm in I don’t know how long.

I was taking Latuda and i’d have to take a nap about an hour after I took it, I would get that heavy eyed and sleepy. I’d sleep for about 2 hours and then be fine!

I tried taking Latuda at night instead of in the morning, and that didnt work because I didn’t get a full days dose of Latuda. The Latuda wore off by 2 or 3 PM, when I took it at night.

1 Like