Exercise and BS

28 years. I’ve only been running since December 2008 though…so it’s a small sample size. There’s a “diabetics who run marathons” group and last year I yakked about my running ups and downs while I was training for my first marathon and lots of people were discussing their exploits…a member named Dann did a 50 miler! There’s lots of useful stuff there but I’m on my phone so I can’t post a link!

I want to thank you for your info. I will keep you posted how it goes. I have been running for over 12 years but just got into the long distance thing in the last year or so. Besides all the other things the running does for me, I love how it helps manage my diabetes and decrease my insulin needs.

Exercise has always spiked me but my doctor tells me to keep it up because it is so good for me. I also found the more intense the higher the spike and the higher it stays up. I have changed the way I exercise and now opt for power walking instead of running.

Np.

Keep something in mind. with keto-adaptation, you are depending on glucose conversion from protein to help maintain your blood glucose balance. If you don't eat enough fat to make up for the energy deficit, you will feel it. I knwow it's counter-intuitive based on everything we might have learned about fat in the diet, but on a low-carb ketogenic diet, you will need to up the fat if you are going to be active.

65g of carbs is pretty low. I'd try putting a little more fat into the diet to see how that works out.

Good luck!

One of my friends is really into P90X and I’ve noted that they seem to aim for around 30% of their calories from carbs? The food app thing I’ve been using keeps track of that so I am aiming for that ballpark myself. I don’t worry about fat/ protein at all. If I cut out carbs, thoses are gonna go up!

Things seem to be settling down a bit. I feel like I'm in a balancing act. I know that exercise is good. I know that having lower body fat is good. I just wish I could simply exercise without juggling my BS so much. I have been trying to get my body fat from higher normal to low normal. For me, that always requires a very aggressive exercise program.

Now I'm wondering if what I'm eating is causing some of my problems. Another T2 tried to tell me that I need to eat less fat because dietary fat causes insulin resistance. Since I eat pretty low carb, about 35 net grams, I think I would starve to death if I also had to limit fat, not to mention I try to watch my protein levels.

I'm hoping that once I take off this 15 or so lbs I can step back a bit on the exercise but by then, maybe my body will be used to it.