Exercise on ths eating plan?

I’ve been diabetic for a long time, but I have no ideal what it means to “bolus”. Can you educate me?

bolus and basal are the clincal terms for short dosing and continuous minimal dosing. They not only apply to insulin but other medial medicinal substances as well. Bolus is the short burst and basal is the long minimal dose.

Dr. B developed the basal-bolus insulin regime in 1972. A basal is a slow continuous stream of insulin that keeps your fasting blood sugar properly under control. A bolus is a short burst of insulin as onesaint notes that either covers the glucose in a meal that you have eaten or corrects a high blood sugar.

It would be good to get Dr. B’s book “Diabetes Solution.” Other good books discussing insulin use include “Using Insulin” by John Walsh and “Thing Like a Pancreas” by Gary Scheiner.

Yum, these look good!

I’m a walker too.I take my dogs[2 Italian Greyhounds] pretty much every day and try for 2 to 3 miles. It’s been a lot less through the winter, because, being so far North [I’m in the South of England 52deg N] the daylight hours are SHORT. I have a favourite circular walk, which gets very muddy. It’s about 3 miles and includes 3 different parks, where the dogs run off leash and a little wood, where they like to go squirrel hunting. It takes us about 1 and a 1/2 hours to get round.And a couple of the hills are steep, one is a mile long AND steep. Unfortunately, we’ve had a LOT of rain recently and the paths through the wood are quagmires and the parks squelch. I truly need my waterproof shoes. I do go to the gym too and on group hikes of 2 to 3 miles twice each week. I never increase my carbs for exercise, but do carry glucotabs. I’vee only ever needed them a couple of times. I don’t use any hypo inducing medication. Just 2 x 500 Mg MEtformin and a very controlled carb diet. I don’t actually weigh or measure, just avoid. Since I don’t eat ready food, I can’t just read a label

I have never seen a claim that Bernstein “developed the basal-bolus insulin regime”. As far as I can tell, basal-bolus was developed by Kadish in 1963 who invented the first insulin pump. Do you have a reference for this claim? (And please don’t tell me you saw it in Wikipedia, since Wikipedia is full of untruth).