Expired insulin?

Can expired insulin be.dangerous? Could that areason for highs & keytones?

When insulin expires, it lessens the effect or makes it not work at all. If you're using expired insulin and having ketones and highs you do need new insulin, and it can be dangerous in that aspect because DKA is dangerous.

I think it’s all a matter of degree. Insulin that’s been properly handled doesn’t go from 100% effective to 0% overnight on its expiration date… But certainly if everything was going fine until you started using significantly expired insulin-- then that’s where you should start troubleshooting…

The novalog pens. that we were useing expired several months ago… i disnt think 2 look, i just grabbed a new pen… it was about when we started that pen that we were haveing hi amounts.of keytones. I caught it & threw out & replced… but now.i feel like. A wretch bc its my fault… ugh… how could i’ve been so. Careless? We’ve been n peds 4 DKA… twice… & u r so correct… its very fearing… its so hard 2 c my child going through that… & all i wanna do is take the pain of diabetes away … i would if i could… ty u all 4 ur input…

I understand your frustration, but please understand that this situation is not your fault. I’m not an expert but I would wager that novolog that was expired was probably not a primary cause of your child’s troubles. By all means try your best to keep the insulin in-date… But this condition is immensely complicated, tricky, and full of challenges. Your child has the best asset in the world; a parent that cares so much. I know its frustrating, but it can be managed, and blaming yourself is not the solution. I have a child too who’s challenges I struggle with, although not diabetes, and often struggle with irrational guilt about. All we can do is our best.

ITy Sam 4 ur kind words… i do feel a lil bit @ ease now… lol. I cant help but 2 worry & stress or whatever… i love that kid so.dMn much… what kind of issues r u haveing w/ ur.child? …maybe i.can offer u some words of. Warmth…