Extracting Data from New PDM (ibf file extenstion)

Hi All,

I have been trying to extract the data from the new Insulet PDM unit through its USB connect but without the use of the CoPilot software. Has anyone been successful at doing it? I am getting and IBF file name. Apparently it may sand for Instant Backup File. It is seems encrypted when I try to open it with an text editor like NotePad.

Again, I appreciate your help

Download the CoPilot software. It is well worth being able to run all of the reports, and the reports make talking to your endo incredibly easy. After taking MDI for 43 years (and avoiding tubed, always-hanging-on insulin pumps), I finally found the OmniPod. I have only been on it for two weeks (as of tomorrow!), but I would not change back for anything. So far I have had no problems, but I have found having the reports from CoPilot in front of me when I talk to my endo is very helpful. I also can save the reports as PDF files and attach them to e-mails to my endo’s office so we both are working off of the same page. Buy the software. It is well worth it. My only regret with it is that I must run it on my husband’s Dell rather than my new Mac… ah, well, a small inconvenience considering the better control having the numbers gives me.

I’m not sure what the .ibf file even is. When I use Copilot I end up opening Copilot and having it specially download the files from the PDM, my computer doesn’t recognize that copilot can even read the .ibf file. As Sherry Ann said though, if you can download the Copilot software it is entirely worthwhile with the reports it gives and the way it shows and saves past Data. Good luck.

Carl,
I’ve also looked into trying to interpret the files. I don’t think they are actually from the Instant Backup program, though. The fact they use the same file extension (.ibf) is just a coincidence. Just to be sure I even downloaded Instant Backup and tried to use it to open one of the PDM files, but it did not work.
Being a software developer myself I would like to develop some custom software that does some of what CoPilot does, but specifically tailored to OmniPod and my own desires. If I can figure out how to parse the files I will start working on a program that can run on Windows and Mac OS X (I have both but use the Mac 90% of the time).
I’ve asked my local Insulet rep to put me in contact with someone in the engineering department at Insulet; so far, that has not panned out but I’m hoping it might.

I have been using the Co Pilot software for 3 or 4 weeks. Even though I don’t have the omnipod yet, I was able to download Co Pilot for free by going to www.myomnipod.com, then choosing the download software link at the top of the page. Then I used the Go link under step 1. The Go link in step 2 lets you download the Omnipod extension.

I have to enter all the information manually: glucose, carbs and insulin. There is the ability to import and export. It uses a tab-delimited format that you can read and create in MS Excel. There is an Import Export Guide available on the Abott website. I uploaded some data because I found it tedious to enter the information using the Manual Entry function. I stopped using import when I realized that uploaded data cannot be edited. I have some errors from what I imported for July, but they are just times that are off by a few minutes.

I like the logbook, glucose line and statistics reports the most. The glucose modal day report is interesting too. I think it is a scatter chart. I am not thrilled by the daily combination report because it only covers one day. I like the multi-day reports better.

Brad

When you get the pod, defiantly download the extension and try importing the data (saves a lot of time…) and check out the “weekly pump” reports. They tell me almost everything I need to know! They’re great for both my doctor and I.

I forgot to say that you can import from XML in addition to tab-delimited. With my financial background, creating a tab-delimited file in Excel is in my comfort zone. Eric, as a developer, you might prefer XML.

What I’m interested in doing is writing my own software that reads the data directly from the PDM. Carl and I were talking about how to extract the data out of a file that can be found when you connect the PDM via USB, a file type with the .ibf extension. The file is there but its format is a mystery.

The problem is that there is no Mac version of CoPilot. I also find CoPilot’s user interface to be a bit clunky. Those are the reasons I’d like to write some other software.

GEEK ALERT------------GEEK ALERT---------------GEEK ALERT--------------GEEK ALERT------------GEEK ALERT---------------GEEK ALERT--------------GEEK ALERT------------GEEK ALERT---------------GEEK ALERT--------------GEEK ALERT------------GEEK ALERT---------------GEEK ALERT

Which one of us, the accountant or the developer? lol

I asked insulet about the ibf data and they told me to ask Abbott since they didn’t know anything about it. (This was just over an email query) I haven’t done that yet.

I run CoPilot on an old pc laptop I have. I’m not a big fan. Looks like it was written for windows 3.1 and ported over or something.

That sounds like a crock to me - the .ibf file is sitting on the PDM so obviously they must know about.
Please let me know if Abbott is any help.

By the way, with whom did you correspond? I’ve asked my local sales rep (who owes me a favor or two) but she has been unable to put me in touch with anyone in Insulet’s engineering department.

That does sound like a crock, b/c when I plug in my PDM it will download stuff to CoPilot on request, but also opens up a file folder at the same time (every time too, with no way to prevent it) with the IBF file and other stuff sitting in it. For them to say they ‘don’t know anything about it’ sounds like B.S. to me…but that’s just my two cents…

Yeah I misremembered a bit. What they said was:

If you are interested in the technical aspect of the Co-Pilot program I would refer you to Abbott Diabetes Care as they are the owners and designers of that program.

This response was from “Tom Peak” and I just had sent in an email question to their customer support group. So he might not have bothered to talk to one of the developers. This was back in June.

All,

Thank you for sharing yoru thoughts. I am big fan of open systems. I hate that the data format is proprietary to CoPilot preventing us from accessing it and use it in other applications liek MS Excel.

The XML export from CoPilot is also cryptic and not readable.

Carl

The tab-delimited export can be opened in Excel and is easy to understand and is complete with column headings. You want to look at the Import Export Guide from Abbot’s website. Otherwise it’s like “What is EVENTTYPE 1 versus 3 and what is in field C0”? Looking at the guide tells you that EVENTTYPE 1 is a glucose reading and EVENTTYPE 3 is Bolus Insulin. Then further on you can see that for glucose readings field C0 is free text for the sample site, like Finger, Forearm, etc. For Bolus insulin C0 is free text for Insulin Name, like Inhaled, Short-Acting, Long-Acting. DATEEVENT is an Excel type date and time. The integer is the number of days from the base date and the fraction is the time. For example 39998.3819444444 is July 4, 2009 at 9:10 AM. If you open the .TAB file in Excel, you can format the DATEEVENT column with a Date and/or Time format so you can read it in human terms. I’m glad they used the same way as Excel rather than a proprietary format that I couldn’t figure out.

I’m a developer as wel with the same intentions, did you figure it out ?
Ok slightly different, i dont want their graph’s but put PDM data plus other measurement data about food, and then generate new reports from that.