Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

Is anyone else watching the episode tonight about LaRhonda and getting more and more peeved every time Chris says ‘I don’t want you to think of your mother as diabetic’ or ‘I don’t want you to think of her that way’ to LaRhonda?

It’s irritating to me. First, they never said if her mom had Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes. It could be either, as her mom used insulin.

If it was Type 2, all Chris is doing is sending the message that having Type 2 is your own fault and is shameful.

If it was Type 1, all Chris is doing is sending the message that because Type 1s use insulin, we must also be ‘unhealthy’ and that too is shameful.

I’m soooooo mad.

Maybe I’m the only one?

I went to his website and got his email address and sent him a somewhat strongly worded email expressing my disgust, and informing him about the many causes of Type 2 diabetes, and about the stereotypes that all diabetics have to endure - and how he’s not helping things at all.

I didn’t see it (I 3D OD’ed @ “Cave of Forgotten Dreams”) but I try to avoid using the term “diabetic” very often. Maybe it slips out here and there but I prefer to avoid it as that seems sort of ontological to me. I “have diabetes” but I am not diabetic. I am a bunch of other stuff. Totally somantic but it makes me feel better.

I saw that episode, and I took it a bit differently. Of course, I get annoyed when they don’t make distinctions about the difference between types, sensationalize diabetes risk factors, etc. But as for his comment of not thinking of her mom as a “diabetic”, I took it more as he didn’t want her to just focus on that as being her mom’s defining character. To me, it seemed like he was saying “remember your mom for more than just diabetes.” Does that make sense? I, personally, don’t want people to see me as “diabetic” but rather as Erin first, who just happens to have diabetes, too. Maybe I just read it differently? Anyway, that’s just my two cents.

I totally agree with that but the attention span of the public gaze isn’t long enough to stomach a slow and sensible transformation.