EXTREMELY unhappy with treatment by Dexcom regarding the failure of the G4 case, and destruction of the G4

Yes, I'm pissed right now...

With no proper way to attach a lanyard to the G4, and with the work I do, I was forced to use the included case. When I got up today, the case was fine, put it on my belt. Four hours later as I got out of my car, the leather strip over the metal clip had fully pulled out of its stitches, resulting in the case not being secure, allowing the case and G4 receiver to fall into a puddle at my feet. The receiver was dead, instantly. A couple hours later, the display did show "Call Tech Support Error: HWRF"

I relied on the case provided as a means of protection and retention, and in the high stress, uncommon action of getting out of a car, it failed, resulting in the loss of my CGM.

As I had appointments, I chose the call back option when calling Dexcom's technical support, supposedly retaining my place in the queue, and left a message as to the nature of my situation. More than four hours later, as I was sitting down to call them, I received a reply call from Dexcom.

The man I spoke with seemed at a loss for what had happened to my case, nearly to the point of dis-belief, repeatedly stating that "it is pretty tough". After explaining it further, he reluctantly agreed to replace the G4, "...but only this once, as this is not covered by the warranty." I said that it was the failure of the case, provided by Dexcom, that resulted in the failure/destruction of my meter. Again I was told how it was "tough", at which point I said that the leather is cheap, not at all resilient, the stitching in question was on a unreinforced edge of the leather flap, and that it would pull out with very little force, which it had.

He kept restating how they would replace it "only this once", and that as it was "a medical device, it needed taking care of". I said I understood that, but that I could not simply change my life to where I could dress in a suit and sit in an office, so as to protect my CCG, and that I had had no issue with my Seven Plus, once I opened it, drilled the case, and put my own lanyard on it. "This is new technology...", I cut him off saying that was utterly meaningless, and asking if that meant it was engineered to be less resilient than the Seven Plus? Also, the issue was not with the G4, but the case, and had not been under any strain greater than riding in a car, occasionally getting out, and back in, so was I to plan on such failure given how torturous the conditions it was under? He suggested I look for something else to protect/carry it.

I asked if I might talk to a designer, to see if I could find where I might attach a lanyard to the unit; "No one will tell you where to drill a hole, and any modification of the device violates the warranty." This was brusk and absolute. I asked what it mattered, since Dexcom wasn't going to replace it regardless, and I'd rather have it for 6 months after attaching my own retainer, than be told after the first week that a failure of their equipment is not covered.

I was extremely irritated by the run around, by feeling I needed prove what I was saying, and then being condescended to with patronizing rhetoric and inferences that I'd done something wrong.

It disappoints and frustrates me greatly after being a Dexcom customer for years that I get treated like I'm trying to deceive them, trying to get away with something.

I will now actively pursue other CGM systems, as I feel insulted, and do not feel I should need plead for their mercy, especially while paying them for the privilege.

2224-G4casefailure.jpg (386 KB)

I agree with your assessment of the case however I'm not sure that there's all that much more to choose from. I've destroyed a bunch of cases and clips for my Medtronics gizmo too (although not for a while, *knocks on wood*). It sounds like the guy's answers were pretty "scripted" which may not be satisfying but I'm not sure I'd get rid of a potentially useful medical device because their tech support dude won't tell me where to drill a hole in it.

Funny you should mention Medtronic. I just started with my pump last Friday and already the holster case that came with it has broken. I wasn't planning on using it long term anyway but it would have been nice if it would have lasted more than a week. I was told by the Medtronic rep that it was not covered by the warranty.

I dug the magnets from an old cell phone case and I'm using it now as a stand-in. Oh Well, I was planning on a leather case anyway because the pump seems unprotected in the supplied cases.

Frankly I think that you should be thrilled that they are going to replace the G4 for you. In the Dexcom group there are some discussions about cases and maybe you can find one that you could use with a lanyard.

I just carry it in my pants pocket and don' t bother with the cases.

"Thrilled" that they are going to replace something that was lost due to the failure of another of their products? Takes more to thrill me than simple responsibility, especially when given grudgingly, and I'm treated as the problem.

Sorry, can't go with you on this assertion.

How many years have you used Dexcom?

I adamantly dislike default/included cases, and have always avoided them, be it for a CGM, a standard meter, a camera- whatever. There is always the price of "free", and none of them are manufactured to be anything more. As my wife reminded me, the case that came with my first Seven Plus also broke, resulting in loss of the meter. Dexcom immediately said that it was a defective case, and sent me a new meter the same day. The new meter immediately had the lanyard installed, and I never had another problem in such a way.

I was able to carry the Seven Plus in my pocket, as I wanted and needed, because of my own effort, but have no reliable way to make sure it stays with me, in or near my pocket, without the lanyard. Such is the nature of the work I do and my life.

I was adding more to my reqesponse when it got blasted out. How does that happen?

Regarding the writers comments reminds me about a story from the 1970's when I had first started out in Field Service with Diigital Equipment. I had to visit a lab at a university whne as I entered the lab by myself without the senior partner;and the lab tech promptly asked me where my Senior partner was in very uncomplementry language. I said Busy.

It turned out from another group I new at a different University who new this tech; indicated my partner when asked by the lab technician about what he had to do to maintain the PDP11 and ASR33, my partner took the power cord and waived it in the lab tech's face and said - Here - all you have to do is keep the power cord plugged in.

As this was a industrial environment and the lab tech was responsible for maintaining all lab equipment and saving the Univerities money, the question was asked legitmately and honestly.

Sometimes its better to tune ones message to the particular client and use a more diplomatic stance.

I do not want a case, at all, just a string on the thing.

It was not only his attitude and conversational aptitude, but my service from Dexcom has deteriorated over the last year or more, from hassels with reordering, to their reluctance to replace failed sensors, and the month long struggle that was involved in getting my G4 sent to the correct address; this accumulates into a bad taste in one's mouth.

The way I have to express this frustration is to spend my money elsewhere, as nothing I have ever sent to them in regards to any issues outside of billing, has generated more than an auto-reply.

It is a useful device, yes, but if I cannot retain it, plus other hassels and run-arounds, it becomes devalued. I survived a month without a CGM, very well, and after I got a bit more comfortable, it was nice to be free of the dependency on the machine. A small price to try other offerings, perhaps.

I find that silicone cases tend to stick in one's pocket very securely. Not as smooth an experience as a lanyard with an uncased CGM, but I would say nearly as secure, plus very impact resistant. Also, since the G4 is smaller than the seven plus, you may find that it is not difficult to intentionally remove the G4 from your pocket even when cased in silicone.
If you have or can find one, first generation iPod Nano silicone cases can stretch to fit the G4, and there may be others.

only one question.... do you, or did you close the 2 snaps when this happend?
werner

Biomuse,

I appreciate your idea. I will see if I can dig up a 1st gen Nano case.

Tried the silicon skin they had for the Seven Plus, though due to the large opening for the display, it easily got caught, and eventually tore/came off completely.

wf,

Yes, snaps were closed.

Here is one person's solution:

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/dis-serif

Radius: I don’t know whether you have found a case you like for your G4. Just wanted to let you know that Tallygear has come out with a custom on case for the G4. It comes in 68 different colors and most importantly for you, comes with a carabiner clip and lanyard. If you want to read my review of it, you’ll find it in the Dexcom Users Group:

http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/dexcomusers/forum/topics/tallygear-case-for-dex-g4

If you want to go online and see the case, this is the link:

http://www.tallygear.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=90

http://myabetic.com/Shop/dexcom-g4

tallygear.com

tallygear.com

You are fortunate that they replaced it. I got splashed while standing next to the pool when my Seven got wet. It went dead, and they would not replace it, even though I had a few months of warantee. I was told that by getting it wet, I voided the warantee and it can not be fixed, only replaced and I would have to pay for it.

So that was when I switched to Minimed. Of course the sensors are better at Dex, but they irritated me.Only now does Medtronic have sensors that are comparable. Actually it remains to be seen if they really can match the accuracy, but they are better.

When Animas comes out with the integrated pump, I will switch because the pump is waterproof and then the receiver issue is moot. Besides if anything goes wrong with a pump, they always change it out.

"After explaining it further, he reluctantly agreed to replace the G4"

The case was simply an accessory, and yeah it is going to fall apart. Lifestyle isn't an excuse for breaking a CGM or pump. Also, there are other case options like buying a waterproof case online that can be worn around the neck. Nice of them to replace it.