I can barely get 36 hours (if I am lucky) out of an infusion set before they fail (with insulin leaking out, not just poor absorption, or questioning if it’s bad because of high numbers). I am not on super crazy high amounts of insulin either… more than I think I should need (see below), but nothing insane, and I’ve needed WAY more insulin while pregnant (up to 140-150u a day - I remember having to change reservoirs daily with my paradigm) and that never caused a problem, so I am really at a loss for what is happening now. I realize the site failures have nothing to do with Animas, and it’s most likely the insulin itself, because I had similar issues with Humalog when I first started pumping, but I used Novolog without much trouble until recently.
Since going back on the pump though (I spent 3 years on MDI after my MM pump was out of warranty and not working), it’s like my body is just rejecting the Novolog… like I’ve become allergic to it or something. It may have been triggered by trying Levemir at the end of July, which did not work for me AT ALL, and it seems like things just went downhill from there… at least in terms of control. Things never quite seemed the same since I switched back to Lantus. In the past 12 days though, I’ve had to adjust my I:C ratio from from 1:10 to 1:6, and I’m taking almost twice as much basal as I was Lantus, and my ISF has been almost cut in half… something just doesn’t add up there
I just today got some Apidra to try, to see if that helps. I already had a wicked bad low from it (just from a correction using the ISF I used with Novolog), so I’ve reset all my basals and I:C’s and my ISF to what they were 3 years ago, and I feel like I’m starting all over in terms of figuring out basal rates and everything else. I wanted pumping to make things easier… and this, well, it just isn’t so far.
Back to the point though, I just want to be able to download my pump data and look at it I even tried installing everything in WIndows 7 (I ma a mac user) and it gave me the exact same error after reading the pump serial #. I will be on the phone with Animas tomorrow… but I doubt the problem is me, or my computers.