Facing challenges in the poor diabetic Life

Today was supposed to be a good day. I was finally in position to start on my new diabetes management system, After weeks of preparations, of putting all the pieces together, of looking forward to today.
I sit here at the end of the day however, a little bit despondent that the excitement of a beginning has fizzled, I should have known from the time I walked out this morning that it was over before it began.

It seems that all my well laid plans are always shattered by I event and the domino effect succumbs to everything else.

Today I was to begin what was to be a great exciting time in my diabetes management, a time to reinvigorate my life but it now seems so far off. While the project is still salvageable, I still have that twinge of failure at this moment.

So two months ago I had to get a new job and the only job I found at the time was the very definition of sedimentary. I sit in front of a computer for 12 hours a day 6 days a week. While the job is not exhausting, it created a unique challenge for me, when I was doing a nine to fiver I could commute to work using my bike and I could get my fitness in that way but when it turned into 12 hour days, I just could not add another 2 hours to my commute each way, so I had to hang up the bike for the moment.

That meant that I wasn’t getting my daily dose of exercise and with the addition of the sedimentary Job, I was feeling the effects and my BG levels have been steadily climbing, a few weeks back, I topped at 215 fasting one morning and I realized that I had to go back to my good old days and the only solution was to go back to the gym.

I figured it would also prove to be a good project for my the poor diabetic blog, as well. I have been looking to loose a few pounds as well. I am fine with my weight of 200 pounds but I have always wanted to be about 185 so this looked like the perfect time to throw in a diet plan as well and see if we cant accomplish that as well.

So I started making all the ground work in preparation for the new management challenge I was to embark on. As the next few days went along, I couldn’t help but get excited, I really have had a routine that worked well for me in the last couple of years that I haven’t made such a drastic change in my diabetic life and I was looking forward to the challenge.

It was supposed to be a good and exciting day today, until I got into my car and the damn thing would not start. As I cranked the starter over and over again, I knew that I was doomed.
As I sit here at the end of the day staring at the final repair bill of a few hundred dollars, it must as well be a million dollars, it has the same devastating effect.

My biggest challenge is and will always be the fact that I do not make enough to cover my regular expenses leave alone the extra curricular activities. I honestly had to dig deep to come up with the extra 30 bucks a month for a gym membership, I just do not have the luxury of planning for the unexpected and this day has kinda reminded me why that is.

I feel like smashing something, if only it was this damn car but I know I cant do that coz such is life, of all the well intentioned best laid out plans and one event and the challenge gets that much harder.

With my schedule most of the free programs like community centers in my area are either closed or closing so I really cant take advantage of those and with winter fast approaching, most of my outside activities are limited, I keep cycling back to the gym membership as my only viable option.

My current thoughts involve the membership in my stocking this year.
Hey Santa how about some help.
I swear I have been really really good this year.
####################################################################################################
Ronald Gregory is a diabetic and a blogger you can follow his works at the poor diabetic blog. which is a resource for those fighting diabetes without the aid of medical coverage.Join a community of people learning and sharing how to manage diabetes frugally with all the savings available in our lives at the poor diabetic
####################################################################################################

I had the same problem because I work in IT and winter is not good for working outside. So I went and bought a stationary bike and a treadmill. Now you might be thinking that those things are expensive and you said you had to dig deep to come up with the 30 bucks for the gym right. So i looked at craigslist in your area and I see plenty of people trying to get rid of stationary bikes and treadmills for cheap. For instance this guy was trying to get rid of three things for 50 bucks.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/hab/1498248219.html

So you get the idea about looking for used equipment. For me the stationary bike is a wonderful form of excercise and it seems someone is always looking at getting rid of the for cheap. I know there are always people who want to dump their old excercise equipment that is still in good condition.

Here is an example

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/hab/1498248219.html

So i think you may be able to find cheap excercise equipment if you look

take care

Thanks Wil and Angie… @ wil. All good ideas about the used exercise equipment and I have a treadmill currently but I have an interesting issue as well which happens to be the noise factor, I live in an apartment building and the walls are paper thin and I am on an upstairs unit so I have gotten a lot of complaints from the neighbors when I do get on it to the point that I had to stop, not the best of circumstances but what can you do.

I’ve found there is always an answer if you look long and far.

then i think for you would be the stationary bike. I got one for 100 bucks at academy. I know still pricey but if you look for a used one they are very quiet. I lived in a two story house when I got the stationary bike and you could never hear the noise at all downstairs or any type of vibration. I was really impressed with the noise level. if you get the electric kind that uses a magnet for resistance you wont hear noise at all.

@ wil. actually am looking into a stationary bike right now sucks coz the spinning one I want is about $500 bucks on craigslist, one can wish… I think I can find one cheaper though. we will see how it goes on the next paycheck, I am determined to get back to my fitness program. Family is receptive to the membership for xmas too, I think I can get everyone to pool their cash into one membership so that might be a viable option as well.
@betty I certainly have to think outside the box on this one, I have a few options in the works stated above so I think I will be on the right path soon.