Fastest rise?

Yesterday with crazy BGs my son went from a 42 on Dexcom to a 324 over the course of 25 minutes…averaging about 676 mg/dL per hour!!!

What’s the fastest and largest excursion you’ve seen in a short period of time.

Wow. Now that’s dramatic. Don’t think I can top that. Fortunately. Eek.

That’s an insane spike!

Did you do a BG check to see how close it was? Usually Dex is a bit behind on a sharp increase or decrease, so if that was happening, a BG test might have shown you an even more extreme number.

I personally have not had anything that rapid.

Was that real? I have had my Dexcom give false readings that are just not physically possible when I “compress” the sensor.

1 Like

Let’s try to view this in a positive light. Your son’s record-breaking BG spike was trying to politely inform you that your son will require a larger size of clothing and shoes in the near future. :wink:

Seriously, how frustrating. Especially in light of your knowledge base and diligence…

2 Likes

Wow. I’ve had mine do the opposite, grocery store trip ate to make sure not to bottom out before I went. Then got home, it was 417, then within hour it was in 40’s. Low then high in short time like that is rare I would say.

Yes it was confirmed by finger stick on both ends! Crazy.

1 Like

I have had some fast spikes, but probably not that extreme. It is likely that counter-regulatory hormones helped fuel the rise. My understanding is that kids are much more sensitive than adults and see this sort of craziness more often.

2 Likes

I’ve had some fast rises, but I don’t think I’ve had anything quite that fast. I recall once I went from 6 mmol/L to 22 mmol/L over a half-hour period because I accidentally got regular Coke instead of diet. I think that’s probably the fastest I can recall. Of course, I don’t have access to most of my blood sugars before age 18, so it’s very possible I may have had a record-breaker then.

In a “perfect” storm of events (pump failure, empty stomach, low correction), my son went from low 60’s to high 500’s in about 25 mins.

I also had a rapid rise when I was given a Regular Coke instead of a Diet Coke. Nothing nearly that dramatic though. Wow.

@Bradford1, you win the dubious T1D prize for fastest rise! Your award is a triple latte, to stay awake after all those sleepless nights!!

1 Like