Fasting Basal Rate

Yesterday I had my last meal at 1pm and my basal was set at 1 unit per hour, with a few hours at .70 units an hour. Woke up this morning to an almost completely flat line on my CGM, numbers in the 5.8 to 6.8 range. I wanted to see if my basal rate needed tweaking, but I think that is a pretty good range (at least for me it is). Now I have to work on my I:C ratios…they seem to be completely different day to day for the same meals–very frustrating. At least if I keep it to proteins, fats and non-starchy veg type meals I can usually keep it around 1-2 units max of meal time (bolus) insulin.

1 Like

This is true for everyone, the ratios are just approximations based on past experience. There are infinite variables affecting how food is digested and insulin is absorbed unfortunately. Also be aware that dinner or food eaten later will often screw up your perfect flatlines at night. If I don’t eat dinner or eat little to no carbs I can almost predict what my BG will be when I wake up. If I eat carbs for dinner there is no telling when some of them will digest while I am asleep and I will wake up with different blood sugars every single day no matter how fine-tuned my basal is. If you eat low carb and stick to proteins/fats as you are suggesting, your insulin needs will be much more predictable.

2 Likes

Consider yourself lucky if you ever get it to be stable all the time. My bg spikes and crashes etc nearly every time I sleep no matter what I do. And a-lot if the rest of the the time too.

This is what I’m finding which is my motivation to try to eat a lower carb diet. I used to have an easier time with carbs until after my honeymoon phase ended.

Anyone know of a good macros calculator for Keto?

I’m not sure exactly what you’re looking for here. I usually use Calorie King to discover the carb/protein/fat allocation of a meal. Calorie King puts out a mobile app, too.

Sounds like your basal rate is good. Although it is always good to test a couple times just to make sure the “sugar fairies” are not messing with you as they tend to do.
Carb ratios can be harder but I have been told that using the same prepackaged food for the same meal is best. It takes the variables out of it. And of course each meal could have a different rate. And than throw in how long the pre bolus. It is like a scientific experiment each and every time.
I have found Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner one of the best books out there along with Using Insulin by John Walsh. Both are in my diabetes library. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

1 Like

I’m trying to figure out how much fat and protein I should be taking in for 20g carbs and 1200-1500 calories per day (depending on exercise).