Fasting diet regenerating beta cells?

Hello, I am on my 3rd FMD 5 days, and my question is does any one know a way to prolong the effect gotten while doing the FMD to periods when you do not do it??

My total insulin intake while on FMD is about 5 unit/day but as soon as I stop it goes back to say, about 23u/day (18 bolus and 5 basal)

Hi Nick, sorry for not answering beforehand, I forgot that I had posted here and have just been going through google links to FMD again.

Itā€™s August tomorrow and Iā€™m on the second day of my 5th FMD, and I intend to do eight before going to something more like the extremes they made mice undergo.

Hereā€™s a few tidbits:

1. Itā€™s not just beta cells that get rebuilt, itā€™s white blood cells and indeed the entire immune system could be eventually rebuilt anew, with fresh, non-auto-immune characteristics. Itā€™s obvious that nobody read the article. I have access to Cell (indeed all academic papers, through sci hub), and I have all the specifics of this diet.

2. You can buy prolon online for like 300 bucks without a prescription, just donā€™t tell them youā€™re a type anything diabetic and theyā€™ll sell it to you.The only reason I havenā€™t tried their exact formulation is because itā€™s expensive and I believe humans will need way more FMD sessions than mice to fully restore beta cell function. So Iā€™m just eating the same micro / macronutrient ratios and doing it myself.

3. In mice, FYI, it took 50 days, or basically seven weeks, of 4 day FMD followed by 3 day refeeding every week. And since 1 mouse week is 1 human month, that means you need to scale up the time scale here by a factor of 4. So that means 8 cycles, in a row, of 16 day FMD followed by 12 day re-feeding. This is what I intend to do once I finish my current 8 cycles of 5-day FMD followed by a 9 days off. The literature says you should definitely re-feed for at least a week or so, but this is uncharted territory in humans and especially type 1 diabetics which is a VERY hard disease to beat in humans. Much harder than in mice, given how many times mice have been cured and how few type 1s have gone into spontaneous remission (there are a few examples out there in the wild, one of which is a woman who was put in jail and not given her insulin. Ouch. Normally thatā€™s a death sentence).

There is no answer to your question, and most people havenā€™t even read the article so how could they know? No offense to the analysis of the FMD literature posted in this thread, but itā€™s incomplete, as FMD has already been shown to reduce auto-immunity in other diseases. There are plenty of youtube videos with Dr Longo in them to watch and like I said, with sci hub anyone can read the articles themselves.

By September I will be re-checking my c-peptides which is the gold standard for a cure and Iā€™ll report back on the results. Even if they arenā€™t stellar, (Iā€™ve boosted my natural insulin production before), I like how FMD feels on my body and there are countless other health side benefits to pseudo fasting for other diseases too, so for me itā€™s a no brainer to keep doing this, possibly for the rest of my natural life. I think humans, indeed all animals on Earth, are adapted to periods of famine and actually benefit from it. There is piles and piles of data on it, including the fact that life expectancy rose significantly during the great depression when food was scarce. So quite aside from trying to cure my diabetes, FMD is doing wonders for me (Iā€™ve already been on LCHF for years and fime restricted feeding too). When they compared the results in people vs mice the results for beta cell regeneration were mild, which means to me that we need higher ā€œdosesā€ than 5 day FMD once a month to get this going. Iā€™m going to try and beat this. I shake my head at those who say this is definitely not a cure because it doesnā€™t tackle the auto-immune response. Do some more reading and youā€™ll see. Even just check out Dr Longoā€™s interviews on youtube. Itā€™s all there.

2 Likes

As someone who has repeatedly searched for info specific for T1s on FMD thankyou so much for all the generous info and links. It is something i will try in earnest after the necessary planning.

Hello, thanks for your reply. I am like you, doing it on my own, it seems
ridicilous to pay lots of money for not eating muchā€¦I am not a biologist,
hence reading cell is not my cup of tea. I read this
https://asweetlife.org/the-questionable-effects-of-a-fasting-mimicking-diet/
in which she makes what seems to be a good point, is that the mice used in
the cell paper where not type one diabetic, but had a pancreas that was
tempered with, hence no autoimune reaction. I feel as you do that doing the
FMD is helpfull in many other ways. I did however notice some long lasting
changes, my basal rates are now 0,025 u/h (the lowest on an animas pump),
and when I run, I do not use any basal insulin ( I run for up to 5 hours on
long runs, so no other insulin (from boluses) is used. Also I went from 11%
of body fat to 6% so on that front is is good. There really seems to be
some stuff with insulin production, but it goes away (for me at least)
after the first day.

Best

Nicolas

Hi Hoping4CureIn, ā€œmice, FYI, it took 50 days, or basically seven weeks, of 4 day FMD followed by 3 day refeeding every week. And since 1 mouse week is 1 human month, that means you need to scale up the time scale here by a factor of 4. So that means 8 cycles, in a row, of 16 day FMD followed by 12 day re-feeding. This is what I intend to do once I finish my current 8 cycles of 5-day FMD followed by a 9 days off.ā€

It seems Dr. Longo is actually sort of mimicking the mimicking diet the mice undertook. Without reading his mind Iā€™ll speculate he wanted to broadcast the widest net to help as many people as possible through easing up on the actual requirements for beta regeneration. I see his point but I hoped he would have went hardcore with even a few type 1ā€™s folks and see what happens. Iā€™m really interested in if and when you pursue the mice/human variable in length of FMD and refeed etc. You might be on to something more appropriate for humans. Also, from what Iā€™ve read elsewhere, the key components of the FMD is probably the low calories and the 10% Protein. I believe the low protein causes autophagy and might also be conducive and more profitably setting up the refeed for cell regeneration in particular and cleaning on the cellular level in general. 10% is some kind of a bogey to cause autophagy to be interrupted. Who know? Thanks and happy experimenting!

Hi Hoping4Cure - you mentioned that you would post back your c-peptide results in Septemberā€¦ I was wondering how it was going for you. Thanks!