Fasting glucose

Good morning, I have been trying to figure out when the best time to test a fasting glucose is. I have been instructed to monitor my daughter’s fasting glucose, per her new endocrinology office anything over 100 is a red flag so they wanted to see what her average fasting glucose was. I took her glucose this morning immediately upon waking and it was 86, I was curious about something so I took her blood sugar again 40 minutes later right before she ate and it was 110. Which would be the more accurate fasting glucose? Should I stop testing her immediately upon waking, and just test her before she eats breakfast? I am just a little confused haha.

1 Like

Those are both accurate fasting glucose. Be sure to record the date and time of day that you checked next to the number. You can write down both numbers if you want to be throughout.

1 Like

I have been recording them with all that information, I just wasnt sure what the best time to grab that fasting glucose is, immediately upon waking or before she eats

Those numbers are very similar. Its up to you. Just to put things into perspective, my fasting glucose this morning was 300. That would be a VERY red flag.

More data is always better data. So, recording both is great!

1 Like

I don’t know the protocol your doctor prefers but I’m thinking that immediately upon waking is better than later. Many of us have observed significant changes in blood glucose after waking, even without eating.

A fasting blood glucose of 86 is excellent, by the way.

1 Like

Yes 86 is perfect, its what we are striving for, unfortunately we normally have between 105-125, sometimes higher. ITs why we monitor her

@Mommy_of_2

As @Terry4 mentioned, immediately (within 10 minutes) of waking is preferable to get an accurate fasting glucose.

My 5am BG was 4.7 mmol/L (85 mg/dl), and one hour later it was 7.4 mmol/L (133 mg/dl). I don’t eat anything in the morning, and I hadn’t had any coffee at that point.

This significant climb is caused by a combination dawn phenomenon and/or feet to floor syndrome (both involve the body releasing 4 different hormones that all effectively increase insulin resistance and / or stimulate the release of glycogen from liver).

3 Likes