February: make a video for American Heart Month!

I received this from the folks at the American Heart Association and wanted to pass it along.

They are asking people with diabetes to create a video about one simple thing they plan to do in February to recognize American Heart Month. The goal of the program is to help raise awareness of the risks of heart disease for people with diabetes.

Read all the details below…

The monthly topic for February focuses on American Heart Month. Your video should explain how you will be commemorating American Heart Month with heart-healthy

choices.

People living with type 2 diabetes are at an increased risk of heart disease, including heart attack and stoke. Sadly, there are many people who are not aware of this connection. Your video will help spread the word about the risks of heart
disease for people with diabetes and motivate others to live healthier lives.

How to Start

· Begin by introducing yourself and stating the monthly topic. This introduction might include a
statement like the following:

Hi, I’m [your name]. February is American Heart Month, and I want to tell you about what I’ll be doing to recognize this month.

· Then tell a personal story by answering the question below, or consider making a video that actually
shows you doing these things. Remember to keep your story to no more than 2 to 3 minutes.

Answer this Question

· What is one simple thing you plan to do to recognize American Heart Month?

[Some ideas:]

o Read through your favorite cookbook, and select diabetes-friendly and heart-healthy recipes for the month

o Try out a new class at the gym, or a new set of exercises

o Talk to a friend or family member, particularly someone with diabetes, about their heart health and encourage them to get a physical