February query: What would you do with a diabetes-free day?

Easy choice; It's summer there so I'd climb Mt Kilimanjaro

I'd probably get up and measure my breakfast, test, and just in time recall that I wouldn't have diabetes. Then I'd eat whatever I want. "How about some fruit. Well, it's most likely about fifteen grams of CHO, so that's about a unit or so...WAIT! I DON'T HAVE TO BOLUS FOR IT!! WOHOOO!!!"

Then I'd wrestle with my brother and dad, since I'd have no pump to smash and no tubing to snag. I'd eat a cake, and mindlessly snack on something. I'd also shower without having to worry about making the site start to fall off. And I'd feed all the glucose tablets in my pocket to my brother and sister, since I wouldn't need the tabs for that day. Finally, I'd go to someone's house and eat a meal without testing or guesstimating about the carbs.

Funny, how the first thing we all seem to think about is "to eat" normal food. (Me too, but I really haven't cut out, just way back, although I might buy a quart of genuine maple syrup and guzzle it out of the bottle. Can't say that I would go ape on great ice cream.)

I think I would be so thrown, I would still check my BG and take my medicine. I would probably forego the injectable Victoza for the day IF I was guaranteed it would have no ill effect.

Nice

Took a trip to the British Islands and went snorkeling for a week straight but found it very frustrating that I could only swim for hour intervals before my blood sugar would drop. SO if I had a diabetes free day....I'd snorkel the whole day long...worry free. Followed by a lobster dinner and a six pack of beer.

I wouldn't eat anything different. I'm very intolerant of carbohydrates, and diabetes is just another effect of that. In my mind, those foods are so evil I wouldn't eat them even for one day. It would be sooo nice though to wake up with feet and legs that actually work well, so I could take a nice long walk again, or no autonomic neuropathy that makes my blood pressure too low at the most inopportune times. And if I had my sense of balance back I could ride my horse or my bicycle. Most of my frustration with this disease comes from not being able to mooooove because of nerve damage.

A day without diabetes… There is a good possibility that I would NOT EAT ANYTHING!! I could fast the ENTIRE DAY! Enjoying every second that I do not have to rely on food to survive each minute and give ZERO attention to what I put into my mouth!!
Or maybe I would do all my favorite outdoor activities that usually require so much blood testing, basal increasing, and carb loading to enjoy them???
Oh, the possibilities are endless!!!

haha, I love your reply!

You know what? I Can no longer conceive of a day without diabetes. It's my hobby. It's my obsession. It's my life. And if you want to talk about a day without all these difficulties, you have to add: a day without celiac. Without both diabetes and celiac, maybe I'd have some wheat, a lot of wheat, maybe. And a little bit of sugar, maybe. Never mind, I can't really conceive of a day without these restrictions. Still, I can have a nice glass of wine any day.

I have both diabetes and celiac as well. We need to start a group on TuDiabetes for Celiacs with diabetes.

After 54 years as a Type 1, this question brings back memories of before the age of 22. Living for me continues to be enjoyable. I was and still am determined to not allow diabetes to run my life.

I guess that a day without diabetes would mean an extra hour to do more of the activities I enjoy ie as an artist, gardening, entertaining, wildlife naturalist and travel.

My daily meal plans and snacks have become healthier and I am not denied the food choices I most enjoy. The world is filled with alternatives food choices more than ever which allows me to experiment and create food that my family, and friends also enjoy.

I would wear a dress that I wouldn’t have to worry about my pump showing or sticking out! Then I would have a mocha frappachino after my sushi roll dinner! I would then go swimming, running, dancing, etc, all without worrying about getting low blood sugar!

I would do something physical maybe skiing or hiking in a beautiful green forest near a rocky river, snorkeling would be cool and I would only eat when I was hungry. I would raise my hands to the sky and smile gratefully for the opportunity to live free without the braindead stupidity of lows or the polution of being high.
Hopefuly I would save all tears for my return to reality. There's a world out there and I try not to let T-1 stop me but walking that T-1 tight rope 24 hours a day makes everthing a challenge.
Jeff

I am so encouraged to hear that you have been Type 1 for 54 years and are still enjoying life. I hope one day I will be able to say the same.

I would put on my leotard and tights and dance, dance, dance without worrying about going low or high or getting kicked out of class because I needed to stop and test. Maybe I'd drive down to Chi to take a class without worrying about going low just as I hit the Dan Ryan and the Loop. I'd stick my driver's licence and some $$ in my jean's back pocket. No need for the backpack full of supplies. And on the way home, I'd get a banana split.

Are you serious? You’ve been kicked out of dance class for testing your blood sugar? (Love how you’d spend your day… happy and care-free!)

I would definitely go skiing. I haven't managed to figure out how to balance my carbs and insulin with a demanding exercise. Put me on skiis on top of a mountain on a sunny spring day. Oh that would be heaven!

God himself wouldn't be able to prevent me from skiing. It's for sure do-able with diabetes.

I kind of feel similarly to Lee: What would I do with a day free of diabetes? Pretty much what I (try to) do every day with diabetes: Live my life as fully and happily as I can! I don't really do anything differently with my life because of D.

That being said, I need to clarify that I'm not an athletic person, never have been, never will be..lol.So I don't experience the struggle with activities and blood sugars many talk about. I've only been diagnosed for five years, so I'm not burnt out on diabetes care, and I'm partly retired so I have the time to do it all without feeling stressed. I haven't eaten sugar for 17 years, don't eat junk food (or have any desire to). Sure I limit pasta, rice and cereal, but I eat very well,and enjoy cooking and eating, and do occasionally have those foods when I'm out. So there's nothing I'm just dying to run out and do that I can't do right now...with diabetes!

This is easy…iHop pancakes for breakfast…with syrup, JUICE (man do I miss juice!), for lunch I’d have anything on the menu from P.F Chang’s, and if there’s any room in my stomach, for dinner I’d have a slice of chocolate mousse cake. I know everything can be had in moderation but sometimes you just don’t only want a fork bite of cake, but the whole darn slice!