Feeling frustrated and lost!

Hi Bjared: You have had most of the autoantibodies tested, minus the zinc transporter. C-peptide would be a very useful test to determine how much endogenous insulin you are producing. Just because someone is autoantibody negative does not mean they do not have Type 1 diabetes–there may be as-yet-undiscovered autoantibodies, and some tests (c-reactive protein) seem to only be done in research studies. Many, many women who have gestational diabetes go on to develop Type 1 diabetes–pregnancy is “the straw that broke the camel’s back” and pushes a woman over into overt Type 1 diabetes. Dr. Anne Peters, one of the foremost endocrinologists in the world, says that she treats all of her lean patients as if they have Type 1 even if they are autoantibody negative–meaning Dr. Peters starts those patients on intensive insulin therapy as soon as possible (Lean Adults With New Diabetes: Treatment Pearls). If I were in your shoes, I would insist that my doctor put me on exogenous insulin as soon as possible. IMO, you sound like classic adult-onset Type 1 diabetes, and if that is the case, being treated as if you have Type 2 is not good. Here is a link to my top ten tips for the newly diagnosed adult with Type 1 diabetes that I hope you find useful. All my best to you!

6 Likes