Fewer Excuses?

My contract job ended today and I hope I’ll awaken tomorrow with fewer excuses to not take good care of myself.

I need to cut WAY back on carbs, read my new books, work on figuring out my insulin:carb ratio, my correction factor, etc.

I also need to walk at least :30 every morning and get more consistent sleep to see if I can knock back some of this killer insulin resistance.

In the meantime, it would be nice to have an income so I’ll have to get busy looking for a new job, but perhaps without an eleven to twelve hour super-stressful workday (including commute) I’ll have more time to devote to improving my self-care.

That’s the plan. I can see my goal shining on the horizon: being in the Five Percenter club. ;0)

Ugh, I accidentally deleted the post, so here it goes again. First, great job in starting exercising, that will do more for your BG than anything else. Second, it’s great to see that you have a plan of action for the next few times to get a better feel for how your body is reacting to DM. One suggestion I would offer is adding another walking session at night. The ADA and AMA recommend 1 hour of exercise per day and it doesn’t have to all be in one shot. When I can’t get to the gym because of work, I walk stairs at work 3 times/day for 20 min each (before work, lunch and after). The other reason for adding an additional walk at night is its effect on muscle and liver glycogen. Glycogen is essentially long chains for glucose that your body uses as a storage mechanism for quick energy. When you walk and don’t eat carbs afterwards (try a low-carb protein shake) your body will start to break down the liver glycogen (glycogenolysis) to replenish your blood glucose and also your muscle glycogen. Basically, since you’ve used up your muscle glycogen you body will need to use the glucose in the blood to replenish these stores. This has two major effects if you do it at night and don’t each carbs afterwards. First it decreases the amount of glucose in the liver and therby prevents overnight spikes because there is little there to cause a spike. Because of this you will have lower overnight systemic BG which may play an important part in becoming more responsive to insulin to transport glucose into the cells. This is because there is less glucose around and your cells will need to become responsive to insulin to handle the lower levels of glucose. The other thing is that once your body hits a certain threshold for glucose levels you will start to break down fat. But since you have insulin and your glucose levels are in a good range, you won’t have DKA, rather just loss of fat. There is tons of science to

Thanks for the encouragement, y’all. And thank you SuFu for the very informative post. That’s interesting about exercising at night and not eating carbs afterwards. I think binging on carbs in the evening is my number one problem. When I’m stressed I crave carbs at night (after dinner) but they just make everything worse: weight, sleep apnea, dawn phenom, insulin resistance. Then again, my lows are usually at night, so I’m even more tempted to eat carbs at bedtime to avoid waking up in the 50’s at 1:30 a.m.

Maybe if I made it a point to do a bit of exercise an hour after dinner (a post-prandial walk) it would help use up my blood glucose and I could inject less Novolog with dinner to compensate (and not worry about going hypo?)

Something to think about…and research further.