Fibromyalgia and IR?

So it appears that I may have fibromyalgia. Honestly, I don't know what to think, since I've been running with no diagnosis for years and then suddenly on Thursday I'm told that it could be this. I don't really fit the profile, but when have I ever fit any profile for anything health-related?

The rheumatologist gave me the option of trying Cymbalta, but I want to hold off on that for a while because no matter how miserable I am, taking something that'll mess with my brain chemistry and probably add weight is not what I need right now.

So I want to try acupuncture (both my pulmonologist and my rheumatologist recommended it). Has anyone here with IR done it? Since I'm already doing it for two different problems (possible fibro and undiagnosed shortness of breath), I wonder if it might also help with the IR? I wouldn't do it just for the sake of IR (or for the single issue of my health steadily declining over the last few years, and specifically the last few months), but as long as I'm trying it, why not?

Also, I've read some things online about how people with fibro have a lower oxygen and ATP content in their muscle cells. (ATP is the molecule your body uses for energy.) Because I'm a Biology person and a total geek, I wonder if that might have something to do with the muscles not using the sugar well, which may be a cause of high blood sugar. I started with the blood sugar issues and the fibro-type issues at around the same time, so I wonder if they may be related?

I intend to bring that last one up with my endo when I see him in June, but if anyone has ever heard of something like that and could tell me now, I'd be interested in hearing it.

1 Like