Final Olympic Torch Bearer - Gold Medalist and Type 2 Diabetic

Sir Steve Redgrave

From www.itv.vom:

Britain's greatest Olympian, Sir Steve Redgrave, has said that he was "very emotional" when he carried the Torch into the Olympic Stadium at the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Games.

The five-times Olympic rowing champion told BBC Breakfast: "It was very special.

I must admit I probably knew about 10 days before. I'm looking forward now to not being asked questions such as 'Are you lighting the torch, or the cauldron?'

"I suppose the questions now will be 'Are you putting out the cauldron?' - I've not had that phone call yet."

He said that when he entered the stadium there was an "absolutely amazing atmosphere".

He added: "There was a line-up of construction workers on the site, suited and booted, it was very emotional for them and for me."

Yes, it was very cool. I was in the chatroom with a TD member from the UK who told us that Redgrave was a pwd. Loved it.
Also loved the doves bicycles......

Congrats to Sir Steve Redgrave !!!
With huge memories back to the Winter Olympics in Canada : not to compare myself to any Olympian!!!!, however very proud to have carried the Winter Olympic Torch in my community , Jan 2010 . My line : Diabetes made me do it ; I was nominated to carry as one of 12,000 people across Canada , by my Provincial MLA , then Health Minister , George A.

Awesome!!! An inspiration!

Very, very nice! You too nel :)

Its brilliant isn't it?
just goes to show anything is possible

I liked the bit that they gave the torch to the kids, "if you work out, instead of playing video games, look what can happen!". Steve Redgrave is a great spokesperson for people with diabetes and not letting it get in the way. He had a nice light running style too!

Yes, the kids were an interesting spin. The lighting itself was quite a sight. Although he did not light the torch and was not the last torch bearer, he was still the final Olympian torch bearer. :slight_smile: Very inspirational.

Sir Steve Redgrave is actually a Type 2 diabetic.

I know lots of people find this hard to believe. I didn't believe it either when I first found out. The source of this information is from Diabetes UK, the official diabetes body in the UK. It is also on the NHS website.

Wow, the NHS story is totally whacked out and full of all sorts of crazy stuff! No wonder UKD is so challenging! I’d always thought he was T2 too but Wikipedia had him as T1?

There definitely seems to be some confusing information on the web. I'm finding as many references to type 1 as type 2, and Sir Redgrave himself seems to only refer to it as "diabetes". I wonder if one of the suggestions made in one of the forums I just read is true - that the fact that he was 35 when diagnosed led some people to assume that he is type 2, but in fact LADA?

PS - very relevant tidbit - my daughter's name is Lila. :)

I don't think it matters all that much WHICH type he is...the bottom line is that he is advocating. However...if unsure, the heading should perhaps read differently!

well...some type 2 are on pumps!

I don't know why some might find it so hard to believe that he is a type 2??

With all due respect, anybody can say anything on the Internet. That's why I cited the national diabetes association and the national health service. Not saying that an 'official' website has the monopoly on truth but the likelihood of accuracy is almost certainly higher. Note also that Sir Steve is honorary vice president of Diabetes UK, and the page from there I cited is his 'about me' page which must have been run by him for approval, and that says T2.

I actually have the chance to meet him next month but sadly will be out of the country during that time, darn it!

Thanks, Garethc. Is that the response you received from emailing Sir Steve on his site, Melanie speaking on his behalf?

Pefect. Thanks for getting clarity on this!

Thanks Gareth!

Unfortunately, misdiagnosis (being T1 but being misdiagnosed as T2) is the norm, not the exception, for people with adult-onset Type 1 diabetes. Sir Steve Redgrave was diagnosed at age 35, put on exogenous insulin immediately, and was an extreme athlete at the time. There is a good possibility that he was misdiagnosed.

I was thinking that might be a logical explanation for his multiple types too? If he were burning off 10K calories/ day rowing, etc., you could perhps mask the need for insulin more readily than people who don't get as gonzo w/ the exercise.