Finger Holes

I have two daughters that have been diagnosed as diabetic. Claire was diagnosed March 29, 2008, the day of her delayed fifth birthday party. Olivia was diagnosed April 29, 2009 and only because I noticed she was pretty thirsty. There were no other symptoms and I expected her reading to be normal, but nope - she was in the 20’s. It was a bit hard to accept but we’d been doing this for a year, so it wasn’t a shock like the initial diagnosis. The day it hit home for me is a bit odd. The girsl were having a bath - shortly after Claire’s diagnosis and before Olivia’s - and I looked at Claire’s hands when she got out of the tub. Her fingers were all pruned up because she had been in the bath, but at the end of each finger was a collection of holes made by the finger poker. I don’t know why, to this day, but that moment took my breath away. I sat on the toilet for a minute while my eyes filled with tears and I held her hand. I don’t know why it was something so innocuous as this that made it real, while I had been sticking needles in her for months, but seeing her little girl fingers so damaged was heartbreaking. I wonder if she still has fingerprints?

XX’s

Hello Patti. Specially when the water is warm? The hole pokes on the finger are pretty evident. I noticed though when I dip my fingers in cold water its not very obvious. Im so sorry for Claire and Olivia… I know how you feel…it must be difficult for you.
I think (I may be wrong) our fingerprints remains all throughout our lives. I think some occurance like minor cuts or abbrasions or in skin diseases, the fingerprints may be temporarily disturbed but when it heals, it will go back to its original pattern. Some major scarring may alter some ridges of the fingerprint but outside the affected area, the fingerprints will remain the same. So, Yes…I think she still have fingerprints :slight_smile:

((((hugs)))) I can’t imagine how hard it is to be a parent of a cwd, and the unfairness of it and helplessness it must make you feel sometimes, it’s no consolation but with a caring mum like you I am sure that they will both be fine. x x x

Hi Patti, I certainly appreciate your perspective, and as an adult who grew up in the 1970’s as one of two children with type 1 diabetes, I can tell you that you certainly weren’t the first parent to feel this way, and sadly, won’t be the last, either! Just remember, they’re kids first, and people with diabetes second!! BTW, you can rest assured that there will be no damage to your kids’ fingerprints!!

I used to have very visible tiny black dots on my fingers too. I test about 10 times a day. I can tell you that ever since I switched to Accu-chek Multiclix, all the marks have gone away. It also does not hurt as much to poke. This device uses a drum, so you never have to handle a sharp. This makes for easy disposal. We have had many discussions here on the best lancet, and the overwhelming majority of members here prefer the Multiclix. Try it! A little thing like this to ease the burden is a good thing.

The leftover marks you get from all the testing and injecting might be one of the few visible signs…and kind of like a little reminder of what we have to do everyday…
One of the things my parents did when I was super little and newly diagnosed was call me sleeping beauty…not because I slept a lot,…but that every time I tested myself…it was like how sleeping beauty touched the spindle and pricked herself…so in that way it made me feel special and made it more bearable…I think one of the most amazing things about kids is how incredibly resilient they can be…particularly when they have good support around them so keep up the good work :slight_smile:

As for fingerprints they definitely stay through thousands of tests (had to get them taken for work…and this was after 20 years of testing)…