Fingernails

I recently read that people who have diabetes have grooves in their fingernails. I checked mine and sure enough it’s there! Do you have it too???

Yes I do have a few, I think I’ve always had them. So does that mean I was predisposed to diabetes rather than the condition causes them? Interesting.

What kind of grooves? Horizontal or vertical? Vertical grooves come with age; horizonal grooves may come with illness, or malnutrition or I don’t know what else. I’ve never heard of them being associated with diabetes, though. Interesting!

Trauma from the body shutting down in DKA, can result in damaged fingernails (I saw this as a white “ring” in my fingernails in the months after I was diagnosed).

Is this what you’re talking about?

Hmmm…my nails were very fragile and peeled/broke very easily when my thyroid condition was untreated (in the two years pre-diagnosis) but I think they’re much, much better now. I do have very, very faint vertical grooves but you have to really turn them in the light to see them. Fascinating.

Our bodies are so complex, eh?

Yes, I have them. Neither horizontal nor vertical, more like pockmarks. I noticed them in primary school, about the age of 9 or 10 maybe. That was 30 years ago; I was only dx last year. Where did you read this article about grooves?

I’ve had vertical grooves as long as I can remember so they aren’t due to age.

Yes, I’ve had vertical grooves in my fingernails for as long as I can remember. I’ve been type 1 for over 39 years, but don’t know if it started then or before then. I think I first noticed it in junior high when I started to polish my nails, so they’ve been that way for 35 or 36 years.

I have vertical ridges, there may be some connection to diabetes circulation, but I think they are pretty normal. Below is a picture of normal vertical ridges:

Horizontal ridges can be a sign of more serious problems. Do you have vertical or horizontal ridges?

Interesting. I don’t have them.

Like Natalie said.

Vertical grooves are supposed to be hereditary (so you can be born with them) and also to increase with age. No cause for concern.

Horizontal grooves can be associated with poor diabetes control - as well as other malnutrition and illnesses. See reference here: CLICK HERE

I have them and have had them ever since I can remember. I was just diagnosed a year ago and as far as the claim of malnutrition or poor diabetes control as Jag1 mentioned, I have neither. I eat healthy, My BG numbers range from the 70’s to the 120’s for the most part and my last 3 A1cs have been 5.9, 6.1, and 5.9. So I don’t consider myself to have poor control. But it is an interesting theory. I just checked my younger brother’s fingernails to find out and he also has them. But he doesn’t have diabetes though. So go figure…

If I remember correctly, I read this on WebMD.

I have vertical lines on 4 of my fingers. I’ve had them since i was in my mid 30’s only. I didn’t have them when I was a Kid with Diabetes.

No grooves. But since we’re on the topic, my endo said that not having moons is a symptom of being hypothyroid.

Hmm…I have horizontal and vertical grooves…

Nope, no moons. Never had any that I can remember. My mother suspected I was hypothyroid as a child, but they didn’t have adequate testing at that time, so if I was, it was never diagnosed. I DO know I was hypothyroid long before it was ever treated, because I developed a goiter. I think I was in my 40’s before the use of the TSH test caught up with me and proved that I was hypothyroid. And now, they’re discovering that it’s not at all uncommon in middle-aged women.

So you can play tic-tac-toe on them??? :slight_smile:

Type 1 for 26+ years. I only have grooves on one fingernail.

I am similar to Lila. I have had small pock marks in my nails since about the age of 7 or 8. Or…at least that’s when I first remember noticing them. I was dx at 31.

I kind of remember someone (I wish I could remember who now) once mentioning a connection, possibly, between the nails and autoimmune issues in general…

But in any event, no grooves here. Just superficial little divots.