First A1C with Dexcom: thoughts and experiences

Sure I can give that a try. I don’t really understand much about how the algorithm works and it seems rather confusing for you can calibrate it with one number and it won’t even automatically display that number after you’re done. I wish I had a firmer grasp on how the Dexcom thinks

I think originally it was to take average of first 2 meter numbers? But others here have talked to Dexcom techs who recommended the time between the first two and I can only speak for my own experience but it has helped. I also use the Dex5 on my phone only. Of course, always start up when your BG is not going to be quickly changing, but I’m sure you know that!

Anyone know why I’m seeing a little piece of cake emoji by my name?

Recently read something that you may already know and that’s that Tylenol interferes with the dexcom.

Is it your birthday? Or maybe it’s just the universe cheering you up!

I actually had to think a moment when I saw it @Terry4 and wondered if it was my birthday or something, nope, and now my little cake is gone!? So that was weird! Yes @Vibes121 it falsely raises the readings

I have found my G5 to slow my BG levels to be lower by an average of 15.

I think it’s a calibration issue.

I mean to say “show” not slow. How do you mean its a calibration issue? I do calibrate regularly and I though after calibrating for about four months, it would learn. My daughter 13 is also type 1 and she has the same issue.

Not sure that they ever ‘learn’

Artificial intelligence

Yeah pretty sure dexcom doesn’t work like that

I thought that was the primary objective of calibration.

I did not mean to impugn your calibration skill. The Dexcom adjusts its level up or down by lining up with the calibrations. After a couple of days, in most cases, the static behavior of the Dexcom should line up with whatever meter you use, with some readjustments necessary every day. So, if the calibrations are done by the book (when your BGs are really flat, clean and warm hands, in-range etc.), then it should not be statistically off by much when you are in-range. It will typically be further off when you are far from the calibration values.

On the other hand, your calibrations will not change the dynamic behavior of the Dexcom:

• it will always be “behind” the real BGs by 15-20 minutes in general in reflecting the full change
  • it will always average transient peaks, so finger pokes will always show more extreme numbers when you are moving up or down fast.

At least that’s what I have found both in the research I have done and in the results we have had. Because of the math smoothing done by the Dexcom, I typically trust the Dexcom in most circumstances more than finger pokes after a couple of days, as do some other members of this forum. But, as always, YDMV:-) If my son’s Dexcom was always off by 15 in one direction, the first possibility I would look into would be to figure out how my calibrations could result in a steady error. Of course, it is totally possible that, for some reason, you and your daughter are in this situation without calibration issues.

Hmmm… well I haven’t exactly studied how the dexcom actually works but I would think the purpose of recalibrating is to reset the baseline so that the receiver knows how to interpret the electrical data it receives from the sensor… which is something that changes over time as the enzymes on the sensor deteriorate… I’m not sure what you mean by artificial intelligence in this context

1 Like

Thats my understanding as well Sam. Its just double checking its calculated BG from inputs its receiving. We have had a calibration or two come back way off from what the dexcom is readying but in general our numbers have been pretty close.

1 Like

Mine are close ~sometimes~ it’s not uncommon that they’re way off for me, actually… but I’m finding the benefit in seeing the up and down trends and when/ how spikes start and stop moreso than actually in the number displayed itself

1 Like