First appointment

Thanks for the info. I see John Walsh on Tuesday. What should I expect? Just watchful waiting and eating to my meter?

My fasting blood sugars range from the high 90s to 110. My post meals depend on what I eat. Trying to avoid high glycemic foods for now. I wonder what happens now. I am exercising at least 1 hr a day and eating much less than I used to. I’ve lost about 8 lbs in the past month trying to keep my bs in a normal range. I’m now at my wedding weight after having 2 babies which is a nice thing. But don’t think I want to lose more.

First I will say I think John Walsh is brilliant, and he is a great analyst. I would be very frank and honest with him, and tell him what you are doing to achieve some semblance of blood glucose control. This is just my opinion, simply what I would do in your shoes, but I would ask him about low doses of basal or bolus insulin. IMO, there is no reason that you should undereat and exercise so much, when insulin is available.

Update: I just got back from seeing John Walsh. He said he doesn’t know what to make of me. Antibodies were negative. But insulin and c peptide were low even though my fasting was over 100. We are going to do a trial of metformin then follow up in a month. If my fasting blood sugar goes down, then I probably have type 2. If not, he’s going to test me for MODY. (Now I have to research MODY). In the meantime, he suggested I lose 3 lbs. ugh… I weigh 110 now and feel like I already eat like a bird and exercise 1 hr a day.

Thanks for all the support and advice. I am learning a lot and hope to keep D complications away. I’m glad I caught it early.

Update: I just got back from seeing John Walsh. He said he doesn’t know what to make of me. Antibodies were negative. But insulin and c peptide were low even though my fasting was over 100. We are going to do a trial of metformin then follow up in a month. If my fasting blood sugar goes down, then I probably have type 2. If not, he’s going to test me for MODY. (Now I have to research MODY). In the meantime, he suggested I lose 3 lbs. ugh… I weigh 110 now and feel like I already eat like a bird and exercise 1 hr a day.

Thanks for all the support and advice. I am learning a lot and hope to keep D complications away. I’m glad I caught it early.

I’m 5’2". So I’m short. He just thought losing a bit would help with possible insulin resistance. Insulin and c peptide are low normal. Like this lab considered the normal c peptide to be 1.1 and above. Mine was 1.2.

I am still breast feeding. Milk supply has taken a hit since I’ve been low carbing but baby is 18 months old now. Pre high blood sugars, I tried to keep my calories at least 2000 cal per day to maintain a milk supply. That kept my weight between 115 and 118. After breast feeding the weight usually falls off. Baby still nurses though.

I hope I have easily managed type 2. I did tell him that basically my whole family has diabetes including my aunt who was diagnosed in her 40s and pretty much was on insulin from diagnosis and a thin uncle who is on metformin. Made him kinda suspicious. But since I’m Asian, I may be genetically doomed to type 2. He did say if metformin didn’t work we’d try something else. I’m guessing low dose insulin?

This discussion gave me a panic attack! Why is this all soooo confusing!!!!!! Why doesn't the medical "profession" HELP US!